ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Windows?

Help with Windows?

Hi, I am going to have to reinstall Windows XP from scratch in the hopes that I can re-install my wacom tablet with the latest driver as it has become faulty and no longer works.

I heard there is a way to place all your programs and files somewhere on line for safe keeping until Windows is reinstalled and then you can retrieve them and put them back on your system...

Does any know about this? Do you have some advice please?

That sounds rather lame. Assuming you have more programs installed aside from ArtRage, the time it would take to "upload" all your programs, you could reinstall windows at least 3 times.

Not to mention, a lot of programs store data in the registry (and other places, too). It would require to extract info from the registry, upload it, then after you reinstalled, the registry data would have to be merged back.

Have not heard anything like this, but as I said, it would be just more pain, then a simple reinstall of windows. If you have your original programs I have no clue why on earth someone would do such thing - even if this would be possible - which I don't think it is, but I could B wrong.

PS: If you have programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, don't forget to deactivate them BEFORE you do the reinstall. After that you have to activate them again. And after reinstall, you will have to spend some time online, in order to download and reinstall all the windows updates.
    Last edited by pentool; 07-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    --LES

Data, maybe.. Programs (software) not to happen.. Too many short routines and files are in the registry.. No way to replace them, other than doing a install of the original software.. Bummer, ain't it..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Yes Rowena,

I must say I'm with Rick and pentool on this one.

Why don't you rather try uninstalling the tablet completely, download the latest drivers for it from the net and install it again.

From what you said, it does not appear that there is anything wrong with Windows as such, only the tablet driver.

I am not sure why you can't just trash the old driver and install the new driver.
    Shouldn't installing a driver replace the old driver automatically?
    Why would you need to reinstall Windows?

OK, and thanks for this input guys
    Now that I have gained a little more insight - and maybe some of you could advise me further?

I found a program that identifies all the drivers and check's for problems on your system. I learned (to my amazement) that I have 2 wacom drivers currently installed on my system. One of them is invisible on my system and I should only have one, and it makes more sense now about all my problems with the tablet when I realize that I may have ongoing conflict between these two (incompatible) wacom drivers.

When I first got my Intuos3 I could not remove the Graphire driver and so I took my machine to a professional to get it done. I was told that the old driver was removed, but now I find all he did was force the intuos driver into the system, but the graphire driver remains hidden.

The drivermax program was able to find it though - only when I was led into the registry to find it - all I got was an error report to say it wasn't possible to delete...

It seems clearer now when I realize that the newer driver cannot go ahead and install perhaps because it reaches a point where it bumps into the other 2 drivers on my system.

If anyone has some insight it would be most helpful. I am just an artist not a computer expert and all this is so very frustrating when I cannot use my tablet to paint...
    Last edited by Rowena; 07-09-2008 at 01:18 AM.

Hi Rowena,
    I have not much time left, because I am starting my holiday trip tomorrow. But perhaps I can give you some tips that might help you. First of all, I hope you have logged onto your windows with administration rights!! I am not absolutely sure, what type of program showed the registry entries. Is it the drivermax tool or the regedit tool itself. But to cut a long story short, every entry in the registry has a path, somehow like windows folders,
    they all start with HKEY...... and they are seperated with "/" .There are multiple ways to open the registry, for example with the "regedit" or "regedt32" and alot of third party tools. If you know the pathes with the still existent registry entries of your old graphire tablet, do the following

Win+R ( Or Start-> Run )
    Type "regedit" then press enter
    Now you can open every branch by clicking on the plus on the left
    Now navigate to the entries that drivermax or whatever told you that they stil exist by clicking on the plus buttons on the left. If you find them, try to delete them.
    If that's not possible with this tool and an administration login , there might be a major problem with the registry itself, and you would have to try to repair the registry itself or otherwise install your complete windows new, but I hope that is not the case and this way you will be able to delete the entries. Tell me if it works.

Good luck Rowena.

ps: If you managed to clean the registry from the old entries and/or uninstalled the old drivers always restart before installing it again and always do everything with the administration account.
    Last edited by Belvrog; 07-09-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Hi Belfrog, I have managed to locate the folder in regedit under HID Class...

Inside one of those folders lies all the wacom stuff. 2 drivers are listed; a Virtual HID driver and another just called Driver followed by a long list of numbers. When I right click to choose delete I get 'are you sure?' I go yes, then I get 'Error unable to delete all specified values'

Then I dont know how to proceed...

Do you think if I tried reinstalling the older Graphire driver from disc it might somehow offer me a route to uninstall? The intuos seems to uninstall via device manager OK, so the real issue seems to be the graphire driver.

Hmm. First of all you can make a bookmark of the entry for further checking.
    And before trying your grapphire reinstall test you could try to delete the entries in safe mode. If that fails that you could try reinstalling the grapphire. Be sure that from the intuos setup deleted first. Make a restart after every single install and uninstall step.

Otherwise you should use a registry scanning tool the check if it is broken.

Thanks for this help, I'm unsure how to go about making a bookmark for the entry...

I had to go off to work in the meantime so couldn't go further with this, which means I might miss the opportunity of your help in the meantime, but I will wait till you're back home before I do anything drastic.

Odd thing is I now have a small respite... I have a Microsoft mouse driver, and the 2 wacom's all going at once ATM! For the meantime it seems that each wants to play its part - and each will only do certain things.
    And so long as I keep switching around between them they will let me get on with painting. So this is what I shall do in the meantime, and wait till you get back Belfrog - since you seem to be on the right track, and I feel confident we may be able to fix this thing...

Have a great vacation