Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ode to Jack - Marina del Rey

Gallery
    View images

Cool Ode to Jack - Marina del Rey

Hey Jack,

today I went on a little beachtrip with my sweety and my brand new $109 HD camera (can you believe it? 109 bucks for a decent HD video camera). After having shot a whole bunch of really neat clips of waves I decided to paint a snapshot. It's fairly close to the photo reference, but still pretty loose, too.

I believe I will try to explore what I've learned there and make a wild one without reference, but the mild color differences are so tough to hit. Even this one is very off in regards to colors and temperatures. I didn't pick colors, because I had only a quicktime on pause to use (just my laziness).

Anyway, this is for you, Jack!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marina_del_rey.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	17934  

Gallery
    View images
    Great image! So smooth. You sure get some High tech bargains (States?) I've just got myself a 5 megapixel phone for photographing skys, water etc. to keep as references for my pictures.

Gallery
    View images
    Yup, Los Angeles (Marina del Rey for this one). Well, the wonders of externalized costs allow for some amazing bargains. Obviously elsewhere in the world someone is pulling his hairs for producing that stuff without proper compensation and sure enough, we all have to pay with a bit of our health to make this possible, but - yehah - HD....CHEAP.... lol.

Well, it's the first "real" ocean painting I've ever attempted, so it's still rather rough, but I found some good techniques to get smooth gradients and transitions only with using oil again. Not that I havn't done a million different techniques, but I always seem to forget what I did last, hehe.

In this case I mostly stayed with insta-dry off, actually, but varried the thinner dramatically as well as the loading. The real key, however, is patience and a soft stroke. I noticed that the number one killer of smoothness is hectic! So it's best to chill and take it very soft and easy to mildly carress the paint from here to there, so to say. Ironically I did a bunch of violent giant strokes to change brightness levels from one side to the other, particularely in the sky of course. But, again, patience and calm is what really makes soft area blends under control.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow....great image, Taron. Wonderful wave fall on the beach.
    There are full of an artistic objects and environment surrounding us. So don’t worry to get any idea for painting.....Khalid
    My Gallery : Khalid_ipda
    My Tutorial : How to paint water? How to paint trees? How to paint waterfall?
    My 2nd email:
    khalid_ipda@yahoo.com.my

Gallery
    View images
    Wonderful seascape.

Gallery
    View images
    Awesome seascape, this is truly excellent work
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you so much already! I'm having a little update, though. I'm sorry, I should've made it a WIP, felt it earlier already.

Anyway, I wouldn't rule out the chance that I touch it again, but for now...

You know how it is, when after a few hours you look at your work and go: "HMMMMMmmmmmm...."

Yup, that was one of those moments. Seemed a little off and empty. Not that it's a whole lot fuller now, but some details and foaming comes out more volumeous and gives the whole thing more substance.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the little sky-squeeze and crop I've done. I didn't like the format or layout rather and felt it could have better weighting that way.

Last edited by Taron; 07-07-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: almost forgot mentioning sky-squeeze

Gallery
    View images
    Fantastic! Stunning work Taron. So Beautiful.

Gallery
    View images
    your sea is fantastic ... so real...Beautiful, bellissimo!!

Gallery
    View images
    Taron,
    What a beautiful painting in every respect. You
    have done an excellent job on those waves. Love
    the wide expanse of the painting.
    Mairzie Dotes