ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing background from downloaded image

Gallery
    View images

Removing background from downloaded image

Hi--Unlike most of you who seem to be excellent artists, I am just a grandmother trying to illustrate books I have written for my 4-year-old grandson. I use a combination of original art (I draw somewhat like a child) and downloaded clipart. However, when I add the clipart to the picture I have drawn, an entire white page appears with it. I have been loading it as a tracing image, adjusting the size and placement, and then adding the color back in. After that, I have to erase the white background page. Often my clipart is small--like a little animal or miniature piano--and I cannot erase all of the white. Thus my final product has white spaces where I could not erase close to the clipart. Does anyone know how I can get rid of the background around the clipart in a different way that will leave me with a cleaner image? Thanks! Grammy

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Grammy, welcome to the forums!

When you add an image which has a background, it's like sticking a photo on to a piece of paper, everything in the background of the photo covers over what is beneath it. So if you want to stick a photo of a piano on to a collage, you need to cut the piano out of its background. Unfortunately the same is true here, so if you import a picture to stick into an ArtRage painting, there's no way in ArtRage to automatically remove that background.

There are special cases where some images have transparent backgrounds, but if you're getting this behavior, it sounds like that's not the case here.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Just another idea... you could load the clip art as a stencil. I am assuming it is black and white. If you have a way to turn the clip art to black and white you could use it as a stencil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	17925  

Gallery
    View images
    I use the PhotoImpactXL programme to remove the back ground from images. You make a background of the required size choosing transparent. Then import image object from your files, use the eraser on magic eraser setting then click on the background of your image. This works well if the image is a solid shape otherwise some of the image gets erased in the process. To solve this you can use the eraser on the normal setting and erase all around the image. Also the image object should be saved as a gif image for this to work.
    I don't know if there are other programmes which has this kind of tool.
    I think that the photo Impact programme is available for free trial - maybe 14 days.

Gallery
    View images
    Interesting problem this one. As Artrage is primarily a painting program it doesn't have all the features of an image manipulation program such as photoshop. I played around with a few things but couldn't find a solution for this in Artrage.
    My advice would be to use a program such as the Gimp, this is a free open source software with all the features of photoshop - you can get it from here http://www.gimp.org/
    Its a fairly easy program to use and backgrounds can be removed using the magic wand tool or background eraser. However one thing to remember is that if you save the image as a jpeg you will still get the white background as jpeg format doesn't support transparency.You could try saving it as a .Tiff file or if possible as a .psd and then try importing it into ArtRage.

Gallery
    View images
    I'd agree - gimp.org or www.paint.net or Photoshop, or any other program that will allow you to *select a colour* and delete it.

First two are free, paint.net is like an advanced version of the nornaml MSPaint, so you'll probably find it a lot easier than gimp. You *may* have to download a microsoft .net file, but this is quite easy.

Gimp handles photoshop files, though, so it's a good match for ArtRage, it's just ....complicated to use!

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, for transparent backgrounds, you want PSD, PNG or GiF.

PSD is big, and best if you have a program that will handle it (it's a special photoshop format)
    PNG is the commonest, big, and preserves lots of colour etc. Thsi would probably be the normal one.

GIF is good for the web, or if you're making animations but small and has limtied colour quality.

I know very little about TIF, but I think I need to find out more.

Gallery
    View images
    I prefer to create a new layer and then color over the area of the image I want to cut out (like a photoshop image mask). This allows one to erase or add to the area, as well as do effects like gradations without having to worry about messing up the actual image. Once done with the masking you just erase what you don't want by making the layer a stencil to block the erase tool. Below I have listed the steps I normally follow and have included a video download demonstrating it (which also has text comments in it).

1 - create a new layer over the layer I plan to cut a section from.

2 - set the new layer to use the "Cell" preset

3 - use the crayon or chalk tool to color over the area I wish to cut out of the layer beneath it (creating a sort of mask).

4 - one I have masked off the area I want to keep, I make a stencil from that layer and invert the stencil once I have created it.

5 - duplicate the layer I plan to cut from.

6 - erase away the area around the stencil.

For a visual of this, I have made a video you can download from the following website: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wzjqe1...utandpaste.wmv

Just click on the "Click here to start download..." link once you're there.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 06-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images

Wink

Hi,
    Well I am knew to this product. I want to be able to draw a picture and then transfer it to photoshop or a scrapbook programme. The problem I have is that I want my drawing on a transparent background, I'm having problems understanding how I am supposed to do this. The man in the shop assured me it wouldn't be a problem.......Can anyone help?. I am not an artist just a mother who likes to draw pictures and add then into a story book. Thank you

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynne Gjerde View Post
    Hi,
    Well I am knew to this product. I want to be able to draw a picture and then transfer it to photoshop or a scrapbook programme. The problem I have is that I want my drawing on a transparent background, I'm having problems understanding how I am supposed to do this. The man in the shop assured me it wouldn't be a problem.......Can anyone help?. I am not an artist just a mother who likes to draw pictures and add then into a story book. Thank you

Starting a project with no background is pretty easy. When starting a "New Painting", go to the "Opacity" dial and set it to read "0%" (the canvas bar above the dial should fade from a white or colored background to a checkerboard pattern, which is how AR displays a transparent background). Click "Okay" and you should be ready to begin the project.

Name:  Opacity1.jpg
Views: 2139
Size:  41.6 KB

If you have already started the project and want to remove a layers background, then go the layer which has the background (most likely the bottom most layer) and click on the gray triangle to bring up the layer menu and select "Edit Paper Settings" from the bottom of the menu list.

Name:  Opacity2.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  37.2 KB

The panel for editing a layers paper settings should have opened. On this menu, locate the "Opacity" dial and set it to "0%". Click "Okay" and you should have a transparent background (as long as the background wasn't created with a tool or a layer with a background was merged with another, which would make the background a layer of paint).

Name:  Opacity2a.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  47.7 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.