Thread: Some issues when merging

Gallery
    View images

Question Some issues when merging

Hello ArtRage team,

I tend to duplicate layers and groups sometimes in case I may want to try something different (which could be a ton of steps, which I wouldn't want to "undo"), or for masking purposes, etc. The other day, while working on an image for a family friend, I decided I would merge everything and continue on from there. In doing so, I noticed that the layers and groups previously set to "hidden" had reset themselves to "show" again and appeared in my image. I had to go through and delete each layer and group that I had hidden so they wouldn't show up in the merge. Oddly though, those layers that were set to hidden which were located in a group did not reappear.

Is this a glitch of some sort?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Someonesane,

I've been trying this and I think I may have found what is happening there. If you have a document which has a layer group which is hidden, containing layers which are not hidden, then merge all your layers, the group is removed and the layers within it become visible again. If the layers within the group are each hidden as well, they don't become visible. That does look like a bug, I've taken a note of it here.

Let me know if that doesn't match up with what you're getting, I'll be happy to look into it further.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Just as a side note... one of the intelligent things about Photoshop is the ability to copy a merged version of all visable layers and paste it to a layer.
    As a workaround for Artrage, it might be a good idea to export the current file once in awhile to either a jpg or PS format and not risk losing your layer information just in case the undo feature after merging should fail.
    The other intelligent thing about PS is the ability to merge all visable layers only and retaining the invisible layers as they are.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi Someonesane,

Let me know if that doesn't match up with what you're getting, I'll be happy to look into it further.
    Okay, thanks Dave. I'll have another look at the file and get back to you about whether the results match with what you have found.

Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    Just as a side note... one of the intelligent things about Photoshop is the ability to copy a merged version of all visable layers and paste it to a layer.
    As a workaround for Artrage, it might be a good idea to export the current file once in awhile to either a jpg or PS format and not risk losing your layer information just in case the undo feature after merging should fail.
    The other intelligent thing about PS is the ability to merge all visable layers only and retaining the invisible layers as they are.
    Yeah, they do have some interesting layer tools. I'd like to be able to highlight specific layers which I could then merge or add into a group, instead of having to do them all one at a time.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by gzairborne View Post
    As with any software, when working on a lengthy project, it is always a good idea to save several versions of your work as you go.
    Work for a while, save <project>001.ptg, work for a while longer, save as <project>002.ptg, work for a while longer, save as <project>003.ptg
    All software has bugs, and there is nothing quite as soul-destroying as losing hours of your best creativity.

Having said that, we do endeavour to have as few bugs as possible!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    AndyRage,

The suggestion about saving multiple working versions is one that I nearly always use. I lost a work a week ago or so, but starting over actually turned out better.

Most of the "bugs" I´ve encountered in AR aren´t really bugs--they´re mistakes that I´ve made by not paying attention.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.