ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Modified brush behavior

Gallery
    View images

Modified brush behavior

I have a couple ideas for the way the brush interacts with the canvas:

1) Currently, the oval that represents the brush head will be at one orientation until you start draging the tool across the canvas, then it immediately flips around to stay parallel to the direction of the stroke. It's this initial flipping action that I find hard to predict or control with precision.

I think it'd be helpful if the oval preview behaved the same when the cursor is being moved around (but NOT dragged) as when it IS being dragged. That way, the brush is always rotated to stay parallel to the direction the cursor is moving.

2) As an option, maybe the brush's shape could be "dialed" in from flat (similar to the knife tool) to oval (like it is currently) to perfectly round, and of course everywhere in between.

3) Right now, as you drag the paintbrush across the canvas, the leading edge of the paint streak is straight... leading one to believe that you could bring it right up the edge of another color and just touch it without overlapping. But then, as soon as you release pressure from the stylus.... BAM! One last messy glop of paint is put over the once nice stright edge.

It'd be helpful if at any given time, when you stop dragging the brush, the paint that's been laid down stays as is, with no new globs added as a result of ending the stroke.

Thanks for listening!
    Jon Huhn
    3D Artist
    www.jonhuhn.com

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, I've just used the program for the first time with a mouse (and no pressure sensitive tablet) and it looks like item #1 above is already implemented when using a mouse. Now if only it could be turned on for tablets... :wink:
    Jon Huhn
    3D Artist
    www.jonhuhn.com

Gallery
    View images
    Hrm, with my tablet, this seems to work. If your pen tip is close enough to move the mouse cursor without clicking/touching the surface, then the brush orientation swings around to match the direction of movement.

Just start your stroke movement in the desired direction a little early, and bring the pen to the surface at the moment you want the actual stroke to start appearing. This is good technique with a real brush too, by the way.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

Gallery
    View images
    Halley,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I can't get this feature to work. Instead, the rotation of the brush seems to be controlled by the tilt of my stylus. Is there some way to turn the tilt detection off in ArtRage so I can control the brush like I'm wanting to?
    Jon Huhn
    3D Artist
    www.jonhuhn.com

Gallery
    View images
    jonhuhn- I have noticed these problems as well. It is good you took the time to describe it so well. I have to admit that some times when I encounter a problem with a tool, I end up finding a compromise and building it into my technique, rather than calling for a change in the program. This results in a program that will ultimately be recognized by it's quirks when others look at works done with it. In the end the quirk gets all the attention and the artwork becomes less important in terms of critique and critisism. Thanks for speaking about this.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Jon,
    I haven't checked this out, but if you changed Preferences to Use Mouse Mode, this changes the way the pen is interpreted by ArtRage.
    There's a full explanation of this on the site somewhere. I think Andy mentioned getting rid of the Default Option eventually and sticking with Mouse Mode.

You may have already tried this.

.................................................. .........................................
    Found it!
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ght=mouse+mode
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Aged P,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already running in mouse mode since I also was having the same problem as described by the poster in the link you supplied. I'm running the latest Intuos drivers, too. Could be a conflict with something.

Thanks to all.
    Jon Huhn
    3D Artist
    www.jonhuhn.com