Thread: Export quality bad - what's wrong?

Gallery
    View images

Export quality bad - what's wrong?

Hello,

I looked around a little bit, did a couple of searches...not sure I know what I'm doing when I export. My jpeg's come out looking grainy, the brushstrokes look bad, etc. What should my setting be - 300dpi? it defaults to 72dpi. I was using 200dpi. Seems like no matter what I do my smooth brushstrokes come out grainy...any ideas for a newbie?

Gallery
    View images
    I experienced the same thing and was uncertain until I realized that my .jpgs were exported as if for the web. If you have another paint program that accepts .psd, the only thing that I found that "holds" your set dpi is to export image as a .psd and then save as a .tiff.

I've also seen suggested here in the forum that printing on a high quality paper also helps.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks - I'll try that. I have PS also, so .psd shouldn't be a problem.

Gallery
    View images
    Or use .png Export. It is lossless - but you will not have layers.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

The current version of Artrage doesn't have a selectable quality setting for jpg images, so a lossless format like PNG is definitely worthwhile when trying to export at high quality.

While PSD is the only format which will hold the DPI setting, if you export with any other format, you do not lose the number of pixels in the image, so if you're opening it in another program, you should be able to reset it to 300 DPI at no loss.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Cool, thanks Doodls and Dave - So basically export to PSD or PNG, then convert to jpg in another program, i.e.: PS or the like?

Gallery
    View images
    Yep. Btw. I haven't ever used the dpi settings - most progs are able to rescale to whatever size in inch/cm you want anyhow.

Gallery
    View images
    so all of your paintings are at the default 72 dpi? I didn't start messing with it until I noticed the graininess of some of my exports.
    Anyway, thanks everyone.