Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not able to view PDF manual under Vista SP1

Gallery
    View images

Not able to view PDF manual under Vista SP1

I have done more research and this is what I found, John.

1. On Windows XP, ArtRage 2.5 installs successfully and the clicking of User's Manual under the Help menu toolbar works with Adobe Acrobat. Just as you'd expect.

2. I uninstalled my copy that didn't work before on a Windows Vista machine.

3. Reinstalled ArtRage 2.5 and clicking on Help > User's Manual button I get the "Bad parameter has been passed" message. See attached screen shot.

4. I examined the installation folder under Program Files\Ambient Design and the PDF exists under the Resources subfolder (Even though the error message in Step 3 says otherwise). See the attached screen shot.

5. I double-clicked the PDF manual document and Acrobat displayed the ArtRage document as you'd expect.

6. I validated the REGEDIT system registry and the base folder link appears to be correct. See the attached screen shot.

Note: I have tried this on two different Vista machines: the laptop running Vista Home Premium SP1 (above) and on a desktop running Vista Ultimate SP1. 4GB RAM, GBs of available disk space, Adobe Acrobat 8.x installed, ... . There is something peculiar about ArtRage Windows Vista.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gallery
    View images
    I had a similar problem with Vista, but I think it was because I installed and uninstalled a demo of the full-blown version of Acrobat (prior to loading ArtRage). And Adobe is notorious for mucking up the registry.

On trying to open the Help manual from the AR program, I get error messages as well. If I go to the full list of programs (when AR is not running) and select the manual, all works fine. Ive probably got some sort of registry problem. But I dont fiddle with that unless absoulutely necessary. I simply printed off the manual.

FWIF
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not sure exactly what's causing this, but the detailed info you provided really helps. We don't use the registry for identifying application path for this process so it won't relate to that. The application uses its own install location and finds the Resources folder from there. The fact that the application runs at all means that it has found the folder previously so there must be something specific about the way it is finding the manual.

The path looks fine, so my only thought at the moment is that there might be a permissions issue, or some problem with the reader that is causing an issue when ArtRage asks the OS to open that file. Can you tell me if the Shortcuts file works when you try to open it from the help menu?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

From Software Maniac

One suggestion is to install it under diagnostic mode--not sure that installing under diagnostic mode makes a difference because the PDF is installed in the \Resources folder just fine. I think it may be the way that the .PDF document is being dispatched from within ArtRage. You wouldn't happen to know what the command line and/or parameters are? The error message states that a "bad Parameter is being passed" and that "the file can't be found in the Resources folder." It could be a Vista SP1 issue...I just don't know.

I do have Administrator Rights. You mentioned setting up a shortcut. Do you want me to move the PDF and create a shortcut of exactly the same file name/ext name as the PDF document? I'll be glad to try what you have in mind. I have Adobe Acrobat 8.1. (I also tried the French version -- same result!)

Also, I have another installation (yes, I bought TWO of these beautiful software products) on a desktop system running Vista Ultimate SP1. It also can't bring up the PDF manual and one other thing--error messages occur when "nexting" through the paper templates. I disabled UAC too. Everything else seems to run ok.

One item that I considered was mentioned earlier -- I believe I did install and uninstall a trial version too! Yikes!!!
    Last edited by SoftwareManiac; 06-26-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    To launch the manual ArtRage just requests that the OS launch a file with a path generated based on its relative locaton. In this case the path is almost certainly correct, and the file is there, so the problem probably occurs when the OS reports an error attempting to launch the file.

If there's a similar problem with paper presets it could be that the application is being denied permission to read from certain areas of the disk. Could you try right clicking the ArtRage app icon and launching it as administrator, then seeing if it works? Even though your account has administrator rights it may be that the process is not running with the correct permissions and is being denied the ability to do certain things by the OS.

I'll do some more pondering and see if I can work out any other potential cause for this.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Tried reinstalling AR2.5.20 on Vista Ultimate SP1

Uninstalled, reinstalled, and then made sure that UAC, firewall exceptions set for Adobe Reader and ArtRage, and disabled AVG virus protection.

On Vista Ultimate SP1:
    1. Help gave same error trying to display the PDF user's guide where I right-click and Ran ArtRage as an Administrator.
    2. Clicking Next on Paper Template - BAM, exception error! You can hit Continue and it will advance to the next set of templates but anytime you want to go back or next, you get the exception that it can't find a disk??? (The installation disk was still installed in the drive but it didn't matter whether it was inserted or not.)

I have attached a screen shot.

Anyways, I probably won't be the only guy getting this -- I can live with the not viewing the PDF from inside the program but sure would like to have access to the paper style templates.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    We've not had this error reported before, can you make sure you send data to Microsoft when it happens because this will help us see where the problem lies.

Back to my earlier question: Can you launch the Shortcuts PDF file from the Help Menu by selecting Shortcuts?

One new question: Which disk have you installed ArtRage on? Is it in the machine you're running, or is it a network disk? The error you got seems to indicate that ArtRage is running on a disk Windows does not think is connected.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............

You mean Shortcut Keys...

Yes, that fails also. Odd, I can execute the Shortcut Keys from Windows Explorer by double-clicking the actual PDF file. No issues there...

If there's anything I can try, please let me know.

Gallery
    View images
    Could you let me know where the ArtRage installation is, is it on a local or network drive? There may be an issue as I say with the application being denied permission to launch the PDF file, while the OS is quite happy to do it, and that could relate to location.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Local - drive C. Full path is C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2 Deluxe. There are three components there:
    Resources subfolder
    ArtRage.exe
    ArtRage 2.5 Release Notes.rtf

I am going to write a little app using REALBasic (heard of it?) that works for both Windows and MacOS targets to see if I have any trouble dispatching to the PDFs.