ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Change location of drive cache?

Change location of drive cache?

On larger pieces (12x18x300dpi) ArtRage is totally thrashing my C drive, which normally I have reserved for OS-related files ONLY, and have a separate storage device all programs (including Windows systems) are set to use.

Is there a way to change the location of the temp files ArtRage uses? Even if it's through the registry, it's better than waiting a min+ every time ArtRage updates the temp file. Which is too often on large pieces.

- N

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion. ArtRage doesn't currently have its own temp files except for undo. For virtual memory the Windows pagefile is used, whatever settings you have applied for Windows Virtual memory will be used when there is not enough available free RAM to perform operations.

If this relates to undo, these temporary files are stored in the standard Windows Temporary file location ( wherever that is set to on the particular system ). Saving and reloading the painting will clear the undo cache, so if there's a lot of undo data and performance is slower due to that, that may be helpful.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Changed my Windows temp file, slowdown problems totally solved. Apparently Vista treats temp files differently than XP's general page file and creates one based on a specific user's profile, so it's a different setting I had to dig for.

Thanks for the update Digitalsoapbox, really glad to hear that helped!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design