ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Help with Inking in Artrage

Gallery
    View images

Help with Inking in Artrage

Any got one got any ideas on getting a good crisp outline for manga style art in artrage i only got and am still learning

1 - get line art on a single layer, paper opacity set to 100%. Layer1
    2 - create another layer, paper opacity 100%, roughness 0%. Layer2
    3 - create another layer, paper opacity 0%, roughness 0%. Layer3
    4 - arrange them so 3 is on top, then 1, then 2 on the bottom.
    5 - set layer1 blend mode to highlight. This should make the lines disappear from view.
    6 - use paint roller or whatever to fill in layer2. Light red'll be easy to see, and won't interfere with black lines you'll set down when inking. This'll make the lines on layer2 show up, colored reddish or whatever.

See attached image for how this should look. Now, for the actual inking part? Just draw on layer3!
    I use the pencil tool for this. Precise ON. Pressure 5% or less. Softness 25% or less. Tilt angle 0. Size 50% or so, 100% when I want to give everything a heavier outline when almost finished.

That's how I go about it, anyway. Your mileage may vary. Experiment and see what works. Void where prohibited. Paint roller not legal for street use in California. Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

Gallery
    View images
    Ah, Sweedie!

Thanks for reminding me to take a look at the Art Brush tool! It delivers a really rich and powerful line! I've kinda been stuck in my old habit of using the oil brush for my linework. I'll be giving this tool a good workout in my next visual facilitation session.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    I have done alot of inking in AR and while I still hope for a proper Ink tool in AR3 I can live with how the felt pen (with artpen On) feels.

I use the same settings as Sweedie but found that using pressure 50%, softness 100% and wetness 100% will get you a line that's easier to control AND a line that will still be sharp when you increase the width of the line.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images

Thumbs up Inking

go to
    Cartoon snap videos - adobe illustrator
    cartoonsnap.blogspot.com
    videos on cartoon inking in adobe illustrator.

I have just viewed these videos and they are great.

When you have finished the inking, which, by the way, are very crisp and great to look at, you can export the inked drawings back into ArtRage to color up!
    Sheila