ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stencil question

Stencil question

Hi --

I am fairly new to using the Stencil feature in ArtRage and I have a question. Sometimes when I am trying to make a stencil from an image, the stencil function makes a stencil of the border around the image instead of a stencil of the image itself.

Could someone please tell me if there is a way to get around that problem?

Thanks!

Stencil creation works off the dark and light points in your image. Where the image is bright the stencil will be solid and where it's dark the stencil will be transparent. It's possible that this is the case here, but without seeing one of the images causing it I can't be certain.

If this happens, you can try inverting the stencil, which switches the solid and transparent parts. If you right click the stencil and select Invert it should change.

If I've misunderstood the problem orthat doesn't fix it, could you post one of the images that does this when you convert it to a stencil here and I'll see if I can work it out.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Could a picture like this be made into a stencil?

This is the picture I was experimenting with. It is a black and white photo, and I thought maybe if I got it to this much contrast, it would work. But all the stencil feature does is produce a stencil that is an outline of my friend's face.

Again, I am just experimenting at this point, but I wondered if threre is a way to make a stencil out of a black and white photo?

Thanks!

Anita
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I took your jpg and made it into a png. Then brought it into the Stencil part of Art Rage. The top picture is regular and the bottom one is inverted.

So your black and white does make a stencil. Used the airbrush to get this:

Name:  mansface.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  23.3 KB

Hope this helps,

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Hi Judith,

Thanks for the suggestion, but even after I converted the image to png, I'm still having the same problem. I first imported the png image into ArtRage, then I used the tool on the side of the "layers" function to make it into a stencil. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Anyway, if you still have a copy of the stencil you made, could you please email it to me at anitamccormick@msn.com ?

Thanks!

Anita,

If you have it as a .png file, you need to:

Click on Stencil at the bottom of Art Rage not in layers.
    Decide which Category (I like Objects)
    Click on it
    Scroll down until you see
    Add New Stencil
    Click it
    Find on your hard drive where your png file is
    Click on it
    and it now will be in your Stencils ready for you to do what ever you wish with it.

Remember you can resize the stencil by using the magnifying glass at the bottom.

Stencil I made will do no good as you already have the .png file and that's what Art Rage uses in it's Stencil category.

What you're doing when following the above instructions is putting your png file where the program expects stencils to be. Since I'm not a programmer, I don't know how it does it but it's marvelous!

Hope this helps.

Judith
    Last edited by Judith Tramayne; 06-24-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

It worked!

Hi Judith,

It worked! Thanks!

Now I will try it on some other photos I have on my computer and see how they look as a stencil.

Anita

Here's a tricky and probably boring technical description of what's happening (I'm good at these) :

Think of stencils as a piece of plastic with holes in them, that should help explain this:

1. When you select 'Make a stencil from this layer', ArtRage makes a plastic square the size of the layer then takes all the paint on that layer and converts it to a hole in that plastic. Where there was paint on the layer, you get a hole in your stencil.

When you import an image, the entire image is made up of paint, so when you select 'Make a stencil from this layer' ArtRage makes a frame then cuts out a shape for the entire image and you get a rectangle stencil with a big hole in it.

If you start with an empty painting and paint a single stroke then go 'Make a stencil from this layer' you'll get a stencil with a hole in it shaped like the stroke you made.

2. When you go to the Stencil Picker and click 'Add A New Stencil' in one of the stencil categories, ArtRage lets you select an image to load. When it loads that image ArtRage makes a solid plastic stencil the size of the image then cuts holes in that stencil based on the lightness of the image you imported. Where your image is black, holes are cut in to the plastic.

If you have mid-tones in your image ArtRage still cuts holes but those holes are only partially transparent. White areas of the image remain solid plastic.

So you want to use method 2 if you want to turn photos in to stencils, because using method 1 will just give you big holes in the stencil without any of the detail showing.

Phew, hope that helps!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Dear AnitaMC, Hello and thanks for asking this question! never thought it could be done but i had to try to do it after you asked and got sooo much help, i finally figured it out with a little help from DaveRage too, had trouble getting the pictures name into the right place and had to drag it there but after that it was easy,,, thanks again!!!