Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pen and ink?

Gallery
    View images

pen and ink?

what have you guys got against pen and india ink? do you really prefer felt tip as a viable medium?

Gallery
    View images
    We have nothing against them at all! In fact they're likely to end up in a later released product.
    ArtRage will continue to get new tools, and new ways of using the existing tools. But we have to do it carefully so as not to break the UI and environment that makes ArtRage what it is.
    Matt is quite keen on getting a nice caligraphy pen with solid ink lines into ArtRage. And a fine soft-bristle ink brush as well.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    wow
    I know what do you mean by "solid ink lines" and I'm happy to hear about them, but would this "fine soft-bristle ink brush" have the ability to blend colors (such as other brushes do now) or this tool would also make solid, non mixable colors as the calligraphy pen?
    how could we imagine it?

Gallery
    View images
    At this stage, I dont know. We'll try a few things and see what works well. We have many things we need to put into ArtRage, so dont expect them all to appear in the next release.

Gallery
    View images
    For inking, I tend to use the marker,

Color: black
    Size: 8-20%
    Pressure: 40%-80%
    Softness: 100%
    Wetness: 60%

This is a lot like working with india ink.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inking_screenshot_835.jpg 
Views:	833 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	2012  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Zaush - welcome to the forums! Nice to see you here - I've been an admirer of your work for years.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy!

Thought I'd give it a try, as I was looking for some tips on how to take 'advantage' of the new white marker behaviour, but found more people who seemed displeased with the effect it has on a layer. Coun't say I'm a huge fan of how it behaves now, makes it really difficult to blend near white tones, unless you kill the wetness.

Found this post on inking, and felt it appropriate to let people know how I'm using the marker for that very purpose. Markers and paint are probably my favorite tools of the entire suite, but would definitely kill to have some watercolors, since that's pretty much what I'm tricking the markers into doing when I color.

Gallery
    View images

Pen and Ink Tool Needed

I got ArtRage as a Christmas gift, but just now got around to checking it for a pen and ink tool. No luck. I found the felt tip tool, but didn't explore it as I haven't time to master a new interface if it's unlikely to be of use.

A pen and ink (crosshatch) tool, would be very welcome. I had a filter for my Photoshop 5.5, which I thought did a good job, but, opening it again in emulation I find that it only creates half-tone crosshatching, not real, black pen lines. In fact, I've searched in vain for a good tool to convert images to black and white pen drawings. Neither the Andromeda Screens filter nor the Flaming Pear India Ink filter are up to the task. Illustrator can do a decent, but not perfect, stipple; haven't tried it on crosshatch, yet.

At any rate, a pen and ink (copperplate nib, please) would be a great boon and a feature that seems to be very hard to find, maybe impossible.

Almost as hard as an actual cartridge pen with a copperplate/flexible nib.

~ John Mayer

Gallery
    View images
    Is there a pen and ink / calligraphy pen tool for artrage somewhere. I would simply love to work with a calligraphy pen on line and shade drawings!

Gallery
    View images
    There isn't currently such a tool in ArtRage. We're not ruling it out for the future though.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design