ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Digital frames, why not?

Digital frames, why not?

Hi all,

Didn't quite know where to put this one. The fish is old news. I used my trusty old fish stencil to do the fish and decorate it. For present purposes the fish represents the digital painting. For those who don't yet know the little guy yet, you can download him in my fish stencil thread in the Art Supplies forum.

What I am working on at the moment though (and therefore a WIP) is the "digital frame".

It occurred to me that you should not only be able to design a border for your AR masterpiece (), but you should also be able to "digitally" frame your paintings in a convincing manner.

I then started experimenting and came up with this one eventually. Many of my initial attempts failed miserably I'm afraid.

In case you were wondering, I made a stencil in an outside proggie, saved it as a *png image and then brought it into AR. I then painted the frame in AR using the stencil. I was going for a kind of "metallic" feel to the frame.

The attached image does not really do it justice, but you should get the idea. Had to size it down considerably to upoload.

Anyhow, I suspect that I might be on the right track with my current workflow is concerned. What do you guys think?

Maybe I'll make a couple of stencils avaiable to the AR community if anyone is interested in experimenting with something like this. Let me know.

Have a nice weekend you all, or as we say in SA a "lekker" weekend. ("lekker" = "nice" (although something gets lost in the translation)).

Yvan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fishframed-copy.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	17247  
    Last edited by yvan_c; 06-21-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Nice idea, keep going!

That´s some kind of frame!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

That is sooooooo successful. I'm blown away. Nice application of the things we can achieve on the computer.

The frame is perfect for that image. I wish great frames were so easy to come by in the real world.

Brilliant.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks Rowena, Scott & D Akey.

Glad you like it.

I cannot wait to take my frame experiments further. Back to the drawing board (...make that tablet)!
    Last edited by yvan_c; 06-23-2008 at 08:18 PM.

frame 2

Hi all,

My second attempt at a frame. Went for a sandpaper-papirus-type-thingy.

Just the frame this time.

Name:	sandpaperframe.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	17281  

And a third...

Name:	bronzeframetest.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	17288  

What a creative idea you have. Really like that fish and that frame around it. It shows the painting differently. Little bit 3D textures feel.