ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problem with using Artrage with tablet.

Problem with using Artrage with tablet.

Hello, I just tried out ArtRage and while I LOOOOVE the product and how authentic the art looks I was hoping I would be able to use my Intuos 3 Wacom tablet to do some digital art, but I'm having a problem. It seems that as I hover my pen the brush is on one part of the screen, but as soon as I touch my pen down onto my tablet the brush instantly skips about an inch down and to the right of where the brush icon was before. I checked to see if it was something I was doing, but I opened Photoshop and it's working just fine on there. Could someone please help me out? I'd LOVE to use this product if it can work properly with my tablet!

I would try setting AR to mouse mode. This won't take away pressure sensitivity. I'm not able to explain what it does do, but I know it has been helpful to others in your position.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

that worked! thank you very much! i'm playing with it right now...it's fantastic!

Hi spoda.
    Can you tell me what version of ArtRage you're using?
    Updating tablet drivers is also always a good idea.

Switching to 'mouse mode' in ArtRage changes from using the high-precision tablet coordinate system to using the pixel-resolution mouse coordinates supplied by Windows.
    I think in future versions of ArtRage I'll just give up on the precise coordinate mode, and do it the way everyone else does it. After all, if you need sub-pixel accuracy of placement of lines, you can always 'zoom in' to the canvas.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Just to clarify, that's "Mouse Mode" within ArtRage and not the Wacom tablet preferences setting which is also called "Mouse Mode." Right?

The Wacom mouse setting makes each stroke measured relative to the last time the stylus approached the board, so you can cross huge areas by repeated small strokes in the middle of the board. The Wacom alternative is "Pen Mode." I think back in the olden days, they called these relative versus absolute mapping, which actually explains them better to some people.
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts

That's correct, the setting to be changed is the one within ArtRage only. On the PC version of Artrage the option is found under Edit -> Preferences. On the Mac version we have a different way of getting the tablet points.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave,

I echo all that's being said about the tablet control.

I have a Mac OSX 10.4.7 and cannot find within ArtRage how to adjust the mode to where the tool tip isn't so 'loose' and direction changing, fun though it may be.

Any idea how I can change mine? In the Wacom prefs only?

I have a Wacom Graphire Model ET-0405-U (I'll go check for the latest driver. I may or may not be current.)

I can tell the difference in orientation stability when using the mouse.

Thanks.

Just changed the tablet prefs to mouse mode, as opposed to pen mode. Now in mouse mode the cursor orientation is following my direction steadily. I prefer that.

Like anything though, the wild cursor ride may yet have use in future despite the difficulty to control it in pen mode. Call it a mistake or technique - nothing need be wasted. :-) Learned that from watercolor.

Thanks for the tip. . . so to speak.