Thread: Tools "hang"

Gallery
    View images

Tools "hang"

Hiya,

it's quite a while since I last used Artrage (about four or five weeks ago) and I can't remember having this problem then:

Whenever I use Artrage in tracing mode and try to capture rather small areas, the drawing tool seems to "hang", that is, I put down the pen on the tablet and move it a little distance it takes a short moment till the stroke can be seen on the canvas. You can imagine that this is distracting and not very precise. Once started long strokes are no problem.

My configuration:
    ArtRage 2.5.20
    Windows XP SP 3
    WACOM Intuos A6
    AMD Athlon 3000+, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 6600, Samsung Syncmaster 206BW

Any idea what causes the problem? The image I'm working on is 800x600 with 72 dpi, I have loaded for tracing is 2048x1536 and app 640kb, I also loaded a reference picture with 23kb.

Any hint is highly appreciated. Thank you.

jester

Gallery
    View images
    I suspect this behaviour is due to the calculation we do to simulate various bits of the pencil.

If you use a mouse and click and hold without moving when zoomed in you'll see nothing appear until you move away from the start point. When you've done that, the pencil line will trail slightly behind your pointer. But when you mouse up the line should catch up to the pointer as it calculates the final look of the pencil in that area.

If you're making natural strokes it's generally not tha visible but when zoomed in a long way it can appear like lag when it's actually just avoiding drawing until it knows how the stroke is formed.

If you turn on the Precise pencil option does that help it at all?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Matt, thanks for your explanation. Yes, it occurs in both modes. As you described, mainly when zoomed in by 200-400%.

It's a "normal" behaviour then?

jester

Gallery
    View images
    The behaviour is expected given the current system. If it's inaccurate then there may be an additional problem: The stroke should always start where the mouse went down and end where it came up, there's just a small amount of visual lag because the shape of the stroke depends on what you're doing just after it appears.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I see, guess it's not only with a mouse but also with a pen device... ?!

Gallery
    View images
    With both, yes. As I said, the stroke isn't inaccurate, it goes exactly where you move the cursor, but if you're trying to do it really slowly you'll only see the stroke when you mouse up or reverse direction because the way you move defines how it's going to look. This is regardless of your input device as both devices do the same basic thing when defining the stroke appearance.

The best way to paint strokes in ArtRage is to do it naturally without slowing down too much to do things at a pixel level, that way the delay shouldn't even be visible.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.