Thread: What size Wacom tablets

Gallery
    View images

What size Wacom tablets

While I'm trying to learn the software by using a mouse, it was suggested that a graphics tablet would be a much better tool for me. As a casual user (I enjoy doing graphics using Paint Shop Pro also), I don't want to go out and buy a $300-400 one. I am also kind of surprised at the difference in cost between the Bamboo Fun Small and Medium. I've also looked at the one called Bamboo.

What size tablets are you using and which one would you recommend for a casual user? Also, the Bamboo features a larger workspace but they say nothing about it being suitable for painting as they do with the Bamboo Fun.

If I have anything left over from Uncle Sam's stimulus check, I think I will purchase the tablet.

Gallery
    View images
    I have never tried the bamboo so I can't answer but about the size : some people find big tablet too large so they use only a part of them, and some prefer large size so they can do more natural moves with the pen, like on a real paper sheet.
    I use 2 wacom tablets : a A4 oversize and a Normal A4 one (my desk is large too...).
    I think A6 is maybe small to draw naturally but all I can say is : TRY. Go to a reseller and try 2 or 3 sizes so you'll have and idea
    My portfolio & other things :
    http://www.cedrictrojani.fr

Gallery
    View images

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images
    I have two different wacom tablets........one is collecting dust on my desk, and the other is still in the box. I like my mouse. I know I'm one of the few, but if you practice alot you'll be surprised at the amount of things you can accomplish with it.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a great one!... Julie
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Gallery
    View images
    I have limited experience with tablets, but I know that my hand is steadier with the mouse. That's about it, but sometimes that's enough to choose to use the mouse over a tablet.

I was in an electronics shop and saw one of those expensive ones where you draw directly on your monitor. I think I would like that full experience someday. Cintiq or something (saw it a while back).

For the price I'm still putting my cash into other things like software, hard drives and good monitors, not to mention the computer itself. Were I painting and drawing a lot, I could perhaps go that route.

Meanwhile my cheap little graphire serves me if I want to get some of the calligraphic effects. I just one day got sick of constantly throwing money at my computer, even if it's a good tax write off, and said "this is good enough" It was state of the art a few short years ago and it still delivers beautifully (knock on wood). My hand, my mind and my eye are what it's really about anyway.

Personal opinion only. Hardware geeks will disagree, no doubt.

And in a way I'm with them. I can still go all gushy inside over new technology. I admire it greatly. But I'm sick of the expense.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    The part that works most is the hand of the user.

I started out drawing digitally on a "mark unknown" extremely small tablet... Then I had a Trust tablet, and now a Wacom intuos3. Each time I was satisfied, and my work was appreciated ...
    but each time I changed (improved) tablet, I decided I would not like to go back to one of the previous tablets.

My point being: use what you can afford, go for it, if you are any good ,it will work for you. Size does not matter much. (look at spare place on your desk)

If you get better and used to it, you can always change, but by then you are some time further down the road, maybe you've sold some paintings and buy one from that money....or not
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images

Thanks Ajll

Thank you to all who responded. I appreciate the input.

Betty