ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Easter Egg

Easter Egg

Hi all,

I do not exactly know how this will turn out in the end. Will play with it a bit more.

The egg was textured in AR. The image itself is a Carrara render. You will recognize the AR "snowflake stencil". Painted the red texture with the airbrush tool in AR and brought in a text layer from Photoshop.

Hope you like.

BTW, glad the forums are up and running again. I think I am addicted to AR and these forums.

Regards,

yvan_c
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stunning! How can You turn and "wrap" a AR stencil? Not in AR I suspect.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Marvelous effect, well done!

Thanks Caesar & Rowena!

Ceasar, yes you are quite right. AFAIK it is not possible to "wrap" a stencil in AR. Maybe this is a feature to be considered in the development of AR.

Even if it may not be really "wrapping" a stencil on an actual object, there might be way to create a convincing illusion that it does. Maybe by including a feature that not only rotates the stencil, but "skewing" and "bending" it (for lack of better terms) along the Z-axis (away from you into the image) like for instance in ZBrush.

But hey, I do not know if that would be possible with the code of AR or whether the developers would even consider something like that. After all, AR is a very good and very fun 2D app! IMHO the developers should not try to make it into something that it was not intended to be in the place.

What attracted me to AR in the first place was its ease of use and the incredible way in which you could quickly and easily create a nice image (without a steep learning curve). Truth be told, I cannot draw ("freehand" that is) to save my own life and hope to change that by practising/experimenting with AR.

What I did here was to paint the stencil and the red "coating" directly onto the UVmap of the egg in AR (see attached images), and thereafter rendered the image in Carrara, as indicated above.

Thanks again,

yvan_c
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Excellent introduction to 3D texturing using ArtRage!
    I also use Carrara for my 3D projects. The UVmapping interface is quite powerful.
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Hi calzgal,

Thanks for the reply.

I must admit, compared to all the wonderful "traditional" paintings and talented artists on this forum, it feels a bit like cheating, using and showing a 3D rendering here.

The UVmap I used was generated by goold old UVmapper. I haven't really used Carrara's UVtools. Have to look into it...

Regards,

Yvan.

Quote Originally Posted by yvan_c View Post
    Hi calzgal,

Thanks for the reply.

I must admit, compared to all the wonderful "traditional" paintings and talented artists on this forum, it feels a bit like cheating, using and showing a 3D rendering here.

The UVmap I used was generated by goold old UVmapper. I haven't really used Carrara's UVtools. Have to look into it...

Regards,

Yvan.
    I have UVmapper as well. I bought the professional version right before upgrading to the latest in Carrara. I find that using the native mapping makes life ALOT easier in the long run. I have no warp or stretch against the model and when rendering normals/bump maps I get exactly what I expected with having to "finagle" a few vectors.

ZBrush is also another mapping soft that can take things to a whole new level. No real rendering machine yet though.

3D isn't cheating!! It's another tool is all. I actually build and render simple shape sets inside Bryce for architecture and large scale environments and then use those renders to literally overpaint. This keeps lighting and perspective perfect. My clients appreciate me beating deadlines and the excellence in my work.

That can't be cheating! That's just smart work.

Looking forward to your next piece. ((hope it's 3D)
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Thanks for your reply Calzgal,

Yes, I know its not cheating. What I said was that for me it just "feels" like it (given the absence of any real drawing talent on my part).

I checked out your site and I like it very much. Interesting range of projects.

Will definitely explore integrating 2D with 3D further.

Have a nice weekend you all.

Cheers,

Yvan.