ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use ArtRage on TabletPC?

1. Anyone use ArtRage on TabletPC?

I use mine on a MacBook and a wacom Intuos. Does ArtRage work well on TabletPC? Or, another way round, is TabletPC useful for producing web graphics?

Thank you

I have used it on one, and it works ok. However, the precision of the tablet pc is not comparable to the wacom tablet. It also lacks rotation detection on the pen.

3. Thank you. So to buy a tablet PC to be used with graphic applications is still not recommended, right? I would still get better result with a wacom, even with smaller footprint (6x8).

I use a Toshiba Tablet PC, and AR seems to work fine for me. I do not know all the technical things but I do see the pen rotations just fine on mine, as well as pressure sensitivity and textures.
    Greg -

I've the same experience as gberden. I use AR on a desktop with Wacom tablet, and I have two different Toshiba Tablet PC's (I have a gadget habit :wink - the M200 and M400. I find working with AR fine on the tablets, and in fact easier in some regards, though there is more pressure sensitivity on the Wacom. The benefit of the TPC is probably similiar to the benefits a Cintiq user has - you are using the pen right on top of your drawing - but the Cintiq, I believe, has the same sensitivity as the Wacom tablets.

By the way, I picked the Toshiba for, among other things, the high-res screen (1400x1050), which I think is much better for graphic work.

David

6. Actually, I am looking to get M400 for paintiing and drawing, as well as OneNote software which I have been using over the past couple of years (already!!). Would you recommend M400? Thank you in advance.

I'm obvioulsy predisposed to the M400 since I already bought one!

Some pluses to the machine:
    * High resolution, wide viewing angle screen
    * Available with dual core processor
    * Built-in CD/DVD drive
    * Decently built, and special harddrive shock protection
    * Finger print reader
    * Convertible (versus pure tablet) - that is a plus to me

Some cons:
    * Not the lightest machine
    * Some people experienced fans that ran on high (it seems most have not)
    * Occassionally the screen does not wake up from standby - specific scenarios were found to cause, and work arounds are known.
    * Occassionally the machine will "pause" for up to 30 seconds, seeminly related to IE, or more specifically, the security package that Toshiba installed and integrates with IE. Folks at my company recently tested a patch that seems to resolve this (no, I can't share it, sorry).

I like the machine. It is a good performer and has been very stable for me. If you are budget concious, you could look at getting minimal memory and harddrive, and then upgrading separately, as Toshiba does charge quite a bit for upgrading the specs on the machine.

David

Drzeller summed it all up. I agree w/ him 100%.

Convertable Tablets rule! (other than the weight.... but that helps me keep my pimp hand Strong!) :twisted:
    Greg -

Don't quote me on this, and the Ambient Design team can set the record straight if I'm mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that the original version of ArtRage was created for Windows Tablet PC edition. If I remember correctly, Microsoft had some sort of contest to publicise their *mumble* Ink or something *mumble* technology, and Ambient Design won with ArtRage.

That's the long, bumbling, half-arsed answer to "Does it work?" =]

That said, I don't have personal experience, but I think using a Tablet PC with ArtRage would be amazing. The portability alone! Man, I'd love to go sit in a park somewhere and just be able to pull out my Tablet PC and draw. But ya, the main difference is pressure sensitivity between a Tablet PC and a Wacom. *I* would think that would make a huge difference, but I would be wrong. I've seen galleries of work created on a Tablet PC using AR1, and... wow.

Much Googling later...

Okay, not crazy (yay).

ArtRage + Tablet PC
    http://www.greenjem.com/

"Microsoft Corp. today announced that New Zealand-based Ambient Design Ltd., creator of ArtRage, is the $100,000 grand prize winner of the Microsoft® Tablet PC Does Your Application Think in Ink? contest..."
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...cwinnerpr.mspx

drzeller, aaaanytime you get "bored" of that M400... =]

- Gita

I got a drawing tablet from Dick Smith's for my PC and it works fine
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth