Thread: wine bottle

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images

wine bottle

Ok everyone......I've tried my hand at a wine bottle. I'm not going to say what I think of my effort.

This is to all you wine bottle / glass painting folks. Howwwwwwwww do you make it look transparent? I gave up and just worked on the bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wine bottle.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	16490  

Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Gallery
    View images
    The sheen and opening are nice indeed.
    As far as glass, that's Rick's department. He can REALLY recreate glass.

I cannot....yet!
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    Relax, it looks great. Here, have a drink. . . Oh, I see. Cheers!

Well then, I think you might do well to have something red in the bottle. It would ground it and simplify so you are not trying to depict transparency upon transparency. Gets confusing for even an experienced painter to pull off.

I think you're nearly there quite frankly.

And I agree. Rick will be able to give you some really good tips on these surfaces. He's been heading that direction for a while now.

Your skills are really close to looking perfect though. Don't get flustered.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images
    Thank you Calz and D Akey. Last time I glanced in no one had replied....... Thanks so much for taking the time.

I've tried several times since.....and they all ended up in delete. LOL
    Do we have to accept what life hands us? Or can we say no thank you and ask for a different flavor?

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Julie. The start is quite promising.
    Just two hints, quite geometric which shouldn't refrain You from a direct observation I think..
    First hint. You should decide whether there will be wine or it would be empty. In the second case a certain degree of transparency should allow to see You some of the thicness and rear part; if there's wine, the wine would hide the bottle and show its own reflexes, especially on its surface and where the light comes from.
    Second hint. The strokes direction should go not only vertically, but also slightly semicircular to suggest curvature.take also into account that the dareker part is opposite to the light source (if You have one or a prevailing one on one side), but not up to that edge of the bottle. The same applies to highlights (on the other side and, far less depending on transparecies, on the diametrally opposite parte, viceversa for the shadow).
    I hope these suggestions are simple and clear enough to test building on what You already produced.
    Best wishes You'll discover it's easier than You think and, with an amount of more patience too, You'll soon be able to attend Rick's advanced course when tey'll appear to our benefit as for the grapes!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Im not an expert myself, but I have some advice that might get you off to a nice foundation. Put the bottle in a scene, or at least a background. Maybe some cloth, whatever it is, make sure its a nice redish color, other colors would work too. Then draw the pbject through the glass, to show transparency. Less is more.