ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Self Portrait

Self Portrait

Every few years I try to do a self portrait to see how far I've come in my skills; self portraits seem the best way to do it to me, because if there's anything people are most familiar with, it's themselves - at least, in theory .

So, this year gets done in my new favorite mucking-about tool, ArtRage. I did the original sketch in Manga Studio because I had planned on inking it in that program, but with their Vista compatibility problems I moved over to ArtRage. I think I like it so far...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice, I like the glowy purple effect. Very nice.

Hey, I really like it a lot. It's a thought provoking portrait. It's shown me something new.

It has a lot of specifically descriptive things that say it's very much a picture of an individual, even though such a line style is, in my mind, associated with comic books, and graphic novels and some of the animation treatments like in Through A Scanner Darkly, etc. And that often has a generic formulaic quality to it (ink outline stuff). But the line is fairly fixed weight, and that's a tough thing to make look dynamic.

Maybe the limiting thing was having to have many people work on the same character. Not a problem when you're the one calling all the shots.

Your drawing shows a high level of skill, which suggests a high level of accuracy. Whether it looks like you or not, I'm buying that it does.

Great job.
    Last edited by D Akey; 05-28-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hard to think how to go beyond, dear soap, at least along this graphic/ comics style. It's absolutely delightful, tasteful and balanced!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very beautiful and successful one you do not work

It seems you donīt have far to go with this. Very well done, with a definite personality.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Dear DigitalSoapbox, very very well done, it is so neat and sharp and the different colors make it emotionally special, the tatoos are enhansed for a reason i bet,

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I still don't know that I'm 100% happy with the colors, and I'm thinking some type of background would be appropriate, and the wrinkles on the shirt (especially at the bottom) are a little too loose.

I'm trying to find that in-between style, where I can stick w/ the inked lines but still get the painted effect across. I've seen it done successfully a few times with different styles, it's applying mine to the general idea I'm trying to achieve...getting there, and of course hearing your comments is a big confidence-booster, so...thanks again!