ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pen Pressure

Pen Pressure

I recently upgraded to Windows Vista Ultimate. I am have installed all of the available updates including service pack 1. I am using an Adesso 9x12 tablet and ArtRage isn't picking up the pressure sensitivity. I have tried it in photoshop etc... and the pressure is picking up in those programs. I saw in one thread to try putting a "no_ink.inf" file into the resources folder which I did try but to no avail. I have what I believe to be the latest drivers for my tablet, and considering they seem to be working with everything else I don't think thats the issue as far as currency goes. I can supply more information on request this is just the general stuff I saw being asked in other threads of this topic. Thanks ahead of time, I just want to get back to using this great product!

So I made a folder named no_ink.inf and put it into the resources rather than a text document. It solved the issue of no variable pressure in the ArtRage however now there is almost no pressure at all. I can barely see the paintbrush at the highest settings and the pencil doesn't even think about showing up. The only tool that makes a noticable mark is the paint tube and it only puts on a thin layer.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

I'm not familiar with the Adesso tablets, but if you have no_ink.inf in your resources folder then both ArtRage and the other applications will be using the wintab tablet input system rather than Ink Services in Vista, which is generally the cause for different behavior between ArtRage and other apps here ( ArtRage by default uses Ink if available ).

The only other settings in ArtRage which relate to the tablet are the precise tablet mode toggle in the edit menu ( Edit, preferences, use precise tablet mode to on/off and restart ArtRage - I'd imagine that the Adesso would probably work better with this unchecked ). Check you're using the default tool settings by clicking the 'reset' button in the left hand tool panel, then see if the behavior changes. You can also set ArtRage to defaults by holding down the spacebar as it launches ( You'll know it's worked if it checks for updates immediately after launch ). Also, you can manually increase the pressure value using the pressure dial in the left hand tool settings panel if you haven't previously been doing so.

Failing that, I'd recommend checking your tablet software for pressure settings / profiles for apps and if the tablet software was upgraded from a previous version on Vista, doing a clean reinstall of the tablet software. It's possible that Artrage is receiving unexpected pressure values from the tablet software under Vista which could cause this sort of behavior, and the other apps use / interpret the pressure values in different ways.

I hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Seems to be working now. It helped me to move the no_ink.inf file out of the resources and start the program up, then shut it down and drag the file back in. Not really sure why but it seems to have helped. Thanks for the info. And may the art rage on