ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: what kind of input device do you use?

what kind of input device do you use?

Hi,

I'm investigating what kind of input device to use with art rage - I have an old wacom tablet, but find that it's less than ideal for sketching.

What kinds of input devices do you use? Are the modern wacom tablets good? The other option I thought of was a tablet PC, and sketching directly on screen with that.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Hi,

I'm investigating what kind of input device to use with art rage - I have an old wacom tablet, but find that it's less than ideal for sketching.

What kinds of input devices do you use? Are the modern wacom tablets good? The other option I thought of was a tablet PC, and sketching directly on screen with that.

Thanks.
    Wacom Intuos 3 - 6"x4"

Quote Originally Posted by Kanted View Post
    Wacom Intuos 3 - 6"x4"
    Same tablet here! :-)

Wacom Intuos 3. 6x11
    Last edited by ScottF; 05-27-2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: omitted something
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

well, that's 3/3 for the intuos! Thanks for your replies. I found the problem with my old tablet, when sketching, was getting the correct angle when drawing lines. For example, if I was drawing the outside wall of a house, a vertical line, it would take a couple of attempts for the line to be a true vertical. My focus would be on the screen, not the tablet.

Do you get the same problem with the intuos?

d'uh - I've just checked out the intuos specs, and realise that the screen is rendered on the tablet - fantastic! - actually, no, that's the Cintiq (it's early - not enough coffee yet)

I have both an intous 3 (A5 wide) and a tabletPC. I love both and couldn't say which one I would miss the most if I had to give one of them up.

Drawing directly on the screen on the tabletPC is without doubt a superior experience to the intous3, but then on the other hand, my tablet is only 12" and color wise inferior to most desktop screens out there. Thus, my work starts on the tabletPC and is finished on the intous3.

That said, my b/w illustrations and digital-pencil drawings are usually finished on the tabletPC without use of the Intous.
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

interesting tablet PC / intuos combo. I have a fujitsu tablet (transreflective display, could be used for outdoor sketching) which I could try to use again. I think the problem I had with that approach is that there was a distance between the outer glass which the pen would rest on, and the actual display where the line was rendered. About 2/3mm. Enough to make precision difficult.

The Cintiq has got my interest ... although it is quite expensive...