ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Dragon Ink & Paint beginnings, some questions for Ambien

Gallery
    View images

Dragon Ink & Paint beginnings, some questions for Ambient

I decided to take another crack at using ArtRage to ink a sketch I was playing with to teach myself ArtRage's tools. I think it came out pretty well.

Can someone from Ambient explain why I can't save brush presets?

And why brushes are resolution-dependent?

It kinda sucks that I had to use a comparatively small marker - even though it was set to be as large as the program allowed - to fill in the big back areas in the illustration, when using real materials I could have whipped out a huge brush and slapped india ink on there in large swaths. It's also a little bit of a pain when it comes to using the oil paints and I want to just rough in areas of color, but the brush size prevents that when working at a high resolution (11x18x300dpi).

Speaking of the oil brush: the ability to lower the shininess of the paint would be great. We can make the paint less "metallic," but even at its lowest setting it seems overly shiny. This may be fine for those going for a totally oilpaint look, but one of the benefits of doing this type of work digitally is that people have more options to tweak to their personal preferences. For the second part of this post I've started laying in basic colors, and I find myself using the palette knife to really blend the colors together and get rid of the overly shiny nature of the digital paint as opposed to using the brush tool itself, which feels a little awkward.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by DigitalSoapbox; 05-22-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Just in case you didn't try it already, you can set the different tools to as high as 500 by manually inputing the sizes.

I'm not sure if I'm following what you mean by "Shiny", but I'm going to assume for the moment that you are talking about the Oil Paints texture when it is applied heavily (which is to mimic the texture an actual brush would leave if one were to apply a heavy amount paint on a canvas). If you don't want any kind of texture to appear, try hitting the F5 key once to turn off the lighting effects.

Nice dragon. Can't wait to see the finished version. 8)
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Interesting...I'll have to try the brush stuff when I get home. I haven't really tried manually inputting the numbers yet, but that could solve my brush size problem...doesn't help with saving presets though, and I've already got a list taped to my monitor of a bunch of "presets" to refer back to to keep the look consistent between multiple pieces for the same project to ensure stylistic integrity.

And it's not that I want the lighting completely off; it's that, even at its lowest setting, the paint still looks a little TOO "wet" to me. I dunno, it's a style thing I guess.

Thanks, SOS! What you've mentioned is definitely a place to start.
    Last edited by DigitalSoapbox; 05-22-2008 at 08:08 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    It's coming out beautiful!!
    Can't wait to see it finished!!

Gallery
    View images
    A bit farther along...still mostly just rough colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    It´s looking good! And the colors are brilliant.

A thought about the all black background you mentioned. Might you not change the paper color to black on the initial layer? Maybe that doesn´t give you the effect you´re looking for. Just thinking out loud.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Excellent compostition!