Thread: Output tips requested

Gallery
    View images

Output tips requested

I like the way my images look on screen, but when I print to my HP Color Inkjet, they're disappointing. They look flat and lifeless, detail is lost, and the canvas texture doesn't even show up. I'd like to frame one for my daughter. I've been thinking of sending JPEGs to Kodak, or SnapFish, or the local photo kiosk, for photopaper output. Anyone ever try this? Or, any other suggestions?

Gallery
    View images
    Assuming you're using the highest quality setting on your printer and printing on photo paper my question would be how large are the image files? My rule of thumb is to print with at least 100 pixels per inch. In other words, for an 8"X10" print your image should be created at 800X1000 pixels or larger. Most professional printers work from JPG files and I've had very good luck with the ones I've sent to the two online printers I use and also printing on my home printer. Hope that helps.

Gallery
    View images
    If you're sending files to someone for professional printing, you could also consider exporting as a lossless format like PNG or PSD, as JPG can lose some quality when exported from ArtRage, although JPG definitely has an advantage when it comes to file size.

Also, ArtRage doesn't have its own colour management profiles when printing, so you could export an image from ArtRage, then open it in another image editor and do contrast / gamma adjustment to get the look you want before printing locally.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    I was printing on a good calendared paper. I took Robert's advice, bought some photo paper, and it made all the difference in the world. It also changed the color a little, but that doesn't bother me because I can do some color adjustments in Photoshop. Thanks for the advice.

Gallery
    View images
    There will always be a little difference in color between monitor and paper. Glad you found the problem.