ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight line

Gallery
    View images

Straight line

Is it possible to do a straight line like you might do in Photoshop when you hold down the shift key? Can something like this be done with the glitter?
    Thanks all,
    Smiles,
    Tracey

Gallery
    View images
    In the current version, the best you can do is use a straighedge on your tablet (of you have one), use the edge of a reference picture (which are re-sizable and rotatable to put them where you need them) and follow its edge, or move your painting to the edge of the screen, where the mouse will be forced to follow the end of the screen area.

The request for a straight edge tool or method has been voiced many times before, and AndyRage indicates it should be coming in a later release.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    :? Why would you want a straight line when doing what I analyse as freehand painting? There are plenty of conventional image editors which do straight lines, but then they are set up as "digital" apps, whereas ArtRage is to all intents and purposes set up to look like an "analogue" app, if you see what I mean.

Whover saw a perfect straight line in a "real" paining (of course you can use a ruler on the canvas if you REALLY want to, but then you can do this with your drawiong tablet too...)

Gallery
    View images
    Everyone uses tools in different ways. Some of the folks that are doing detailed backgrounds for animation or cartoon work may want nice straight buildings, for example - but still want the look and feel that AR provides.

Besides, I'm sure Dave and Andy won't make you use it!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    :lol: point taken, I was only being pedantic...

but on a more serious note, there are so many 'digital' functions one can use if working on (for example ... wash my mouth out ... )Photoshop, or (better) PhotoImpact, wouldn't it be better to create those special digital effects / filters and then use the image as a tracing image, briging it to the current layer as paint, then erasing the bits you don't want, thus mixing the digitally dericed effects into your Artrage screen?

Denn

Gallery
    View images
    Denn, I apologize, as i was incorrect earlier. I just spoke to Andy and Dave, and they will in fact be making you use the straight line tool. :twisted:

I think the most common opinion on the forums is that AR should stay true to it's "real painting" experience -- though a few simple tweaks and aids here and there seem to be favored as well. I agree with you that much of what you find in "those other programs" would not fit the AR paradigm, but I don't object to adding a few niceties, either.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    In general, our goal will be to produce tools a traditional artist would be likely to use, but working inside a digital environment.
    Traditional artists can and do use rulers and various shapes for guiding their strokes. While it's *possible* to use a ruler on the graphics tablet (if you have a ruler, and a graphics tablet), a ruler tool in ArtRage would make it more convenient for mouse users (and probably graphics tablet users as well).
    We're examining ways we can put a ruler tool into ArtRage that doesn't 'break' the workflow or UI, or make ArtRage any more complex or intimidating to use.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks all for your answers accompanied by the humor.

Gallery
    View images
    Thx 4 all the gr8 responses, am preparing myself for the inevitable penalty when (if?) I don't use the new ruler, but rules (& rulers?) are meant to be broken.

BTW, discovering ArtRage has fundamentally altered my life (onceagain...), I am in a new free universe of virtual unreality, I cannot go back to the rigid old ways (except occasionaly when I pine for filters and copy/paste etc).

You've saved my bacon, lads, as I have an art gallery booked in Adelaide for April to show case my "graphic-photo-art" [that's my .com website]... have to think of a new name now, though. [fortunately the show IS called "UNREALITY"]

Great app, AR, let'skeep on 'thinking simple'

Denn

Gallery
    View images
    Andy, i just had an idea about how to do the ruler thing. Why not do it like a reference picture that masks what you paint? You would be able to scale and rotate the same way and it could be able to load user made rules and curves.