ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: First try at water and light.

First try at water and light.

I tried to draw an island with the sea and a sinking sun, but it didn`t turn out that good. I hope you could give me some tips, how to get a better sun and waves. Well in factthe watercolour looks kind of stupid too ^^.

So feel free to critizise and please give me every tip you can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunny_island_112.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	15842  

oh sorry, there`s no picture :/ Why? It should be added.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunny_island_172.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	15844  

Oh sorry ! I forgot, that you only can see the pictures, when you`re logged in.
    I`m new here sorry.

Observations about water. Water is almost never uniform. Because of the changing nature of the surface, you often are going to have bright highlights right next to deep shadows. Also the color of water tends to gradate from dark shadows near the viewer, to a muted version of the sky in the distance, due to the way water reflects and the changing angle. So in your case, I would say you need to darken up the surface of the water nearer to the viewer, and incorporate some of the highlight colors of the sky into the farther away portions of it. Specifically the color of your sun, as that it is the primarly light source in the scene. My old art teacher once told me that water is about tricks. Think in strokes of horizontal "S" shapes with "C's" for crests and lay down your color in overlapping layers like that. Importantly, forget that it's water that you're trying to paint. You're trying to capture color and light, not water itself. Look at water, choose colors and try to mimic the shapes it makes, like you would anything else. Take some photos to make it hold still, so that you can see it clearly, but don't get too fixated on them. Just look to see the shapes of lights and darks, and how the colors in the picture are reflected in it.

Secondly, texture. In this case, the craggy nature of the paper you've selected seems to be getting in the way of your image. It's breaking up forms and coming off as more potent than the painting itself. Where you've worked the surface and have quite a bit of paint down, in the sea, the sun, and the island itself, this effect is hidden. In the sky, clouds, and some portions of the water though, the texture comes through forcibly and reads as static to me. You need to cover that up or change paper to get rid of it. It's just too noisy to be appealing.

Your color choices are interesting. Setting up blues and purples against the orange and yellow sky is going to give vibrancy. However, the black island doesn't seem to be part of this dialog at all. I would say you need to work the colors of sky and sea into it, to make it part of the composition, not something plopped on top of it. The spiky trees have an interesting silohuette, maybe a little more variation in them for appeal.

hi Blind, now, i kind of like this strange painting, your style, and i see a humorous profile in that island,

Thanks a lot nimajneb, I will try that in my next picture, and thanks to Lee,too. I`m happy you like it.
    Have fun at what you do !

Ok, the main problem I see here, is that the water should reflect the color of the sky very much. And you have two completely different values, why don't you try starting with a simple blue ocean, and a simple blue sky, add some color to the sky, blend it, and then try to replicate those reflections with the same color in the water, then add some fluffy white clouds, then add in their reflection too.