ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Morning Adventure

Gallery
    View images

Morning Adventure

I had previously posted here but after 2 days with no response I deleted that post...
    I'll try again.
    A reference photo taken by a friend when canoeing on Lake Bomazeen in Vermont.
    Air Brush, palette knife.
    The original photo was lacking in detail and I added from memory the sky and water details.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morning_adventure_456.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	1717  
    You'll know when you get there!

Gallery
    View images
    I posted a comment about this in gallery - but not a critique.

If I were to alter anything, I would probably adjust the contrast around the people. They blend into the far shorelinea bit much. Also, they seem to have less detail than the faces of the dogs. Perhaps just getting a better silouhette of the people would balance that out.

The other thing that catches my eye is that the "waves" or water lines all run almost parllel to the bottom of the picture - except the water on the far upper left. In that area, you can see you brush strokes being drawn away from the shoreline -- making them slightly perpendicular to the rest of the water.

Overall, as I mentioned in the other forum, I really like this picture. It will hang out as my desktop background for a few days.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Ahhh, it's so much easier with another pair of eyes. Great tips - I will try it out and post back.

Gallery
    View images
    reworked version......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    It does look better... but it is a little hard to see with the smaller size. Any chance you want to put a larger one up (like one that would be good for a desktop, too!)?

I can definitely see better definition around the people and I see that the far water has changed, but can't see the brush strokes that well.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    amazing picture, i really like this......I didnt see it posted here before...anyway...D has already pointed out the slight lack of definition around the people ...and thats all i saw......

nice one
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images

morning adventure

larger size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morning_adventure_412.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	1738  

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Ingie,

I really like this slice of life painting. It really captures a moment well and the ripples on the water are exquisite.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is the "sliver of white" between the land and the sky over on the right side. I think it would be less distracting if the color was greyed down a bit.

Having said that, I would be more than happy if I could produce something like this!

Brian

Gallery
    View images
    Some people are never happy.... I like the changes around the people. It looks like you also added some detail between the dogs, which in my opinion makes them harder to see. So overall, the changes kind of reversed the situation. I personally like the idea of the new people background and the old dog background.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    This is a critique thread, no apologies needed how else do we grow?
    (a bit humorous non the less.
    I've gotten carried into another painting so not sure when I will repost
    THANKS everyone....