Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first post, first painting - FINISHED

hmm.....so youre trying to 'spread' teh glitter...i might have a go at that
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Lol, I immediately thought of Enchanter's meerkat when you said that, emre, but it looks like you've been made well aware of it already. =) Welcome to the forums, this is a lovely little wren. I also really like the bird's pose.

- Gita

Thanks Gita.

That meerkat sure has a lot of fur Enchanter, and you rendered it great!

As for me... Well, at some point, i decided that painting every single feather was unnecessary detail for the bird (and also distracting), so i smeared all those strokes to get a smoother look while still trying to maintain the feather-ish texture. The dry brush tool is especially useful for this purpose.

Anyway, i think i'm going to call this one finished. I could go on working on it forever, but i guess i have to stop at some point. As this is my first serious painting, i will let go off the mistakes.

I used photoshop at the end to adjust the color/contrast balance and overlay the text.

In case anyone wants to see it bigger, grab it here :
    http://emremeydan.com/wren_final_01.jpg

emre
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That is astounding. Brilliant. What a fantastic piece, emremeydan.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi Emre,

Brilliant, a Wren with attitude! That is great painting.

I also checked out the rest of your web site.
    What a multi-talented person you are.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Great personality! I can see that picture on the side of a mug at our favorite bird food store with some humorous message beneath it.

We should have a contest for the right caption!

D.

well done ...looks finished to me.....wonderful painting

'bird on a wire' ..i think should be on the list for the next set of pictures on the artrage home page

by the way isaw your website too...i love the childrens illustration..the cat with balloon
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Anybody else think this little guy could hang out with the GoodFeathers? "Wha, joo wanna piece o' me? Fuggedaboudit!" Well, I guess that's my contest entry. =]

emre, this is a really beautiful painting. I agree with your decision, in the end, to smear the individual brush strokes and then use the dry brush to give the end result feather-texture. It's really just a wonderful little piece, and a very very charming, endearing, little bird. Thanks for sharing it with us!

- Gita

Thanks for the comments Andy! And a second "thanks" goes for the software. It feels so natural that for the most part, i can just use the tools without worrying about how they will perform.

Aged P, thank you. As for my site, i'm going to update it one of these days to add my newer works, i haven't updated it since early winter.

Drzeller, you're right, it does have that feeling, and in fact maybe i should put it on a mug : ) Thanks.

Thanks Enchanter. Your meerkat would also be in that queue for homepage pics. About that cat with the balloon, it was my first digital painting (not that i have done any real-life painting), done in Painter Essentials (that came bundled with my tablet) and i had used lots of layers, which was one of the reasons i decided to use only one layer for this wren painting. Looking at it again after six months, it looks a little amateur, for example the legs are a bit short. But i guess being able to see the mistakes in early works is a sign of improvement.

Gita, yes, it somehow came out looking angry, as if it has rage issues. It's a tough wren : ) Thanks.

emre