Page 83 of 84 FirstFirst ... 337381828384 LastLast

Thread: Food with an ATTITUDE! (an invitation)

This is a chilli created by my sister
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chilli.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	47441  

spleenderts,
    Oh my gosh and just in time for lunch even though I don't eat breakfast.
    Could this be a savory snack then? A precursor to a "normal" meal? A
    most palatable appetizer? On second thought who would want to eat
    this adorable hot tamale, a most delightful personality he is and if I could
    go out on a pepper plant limb, bet red is his favorite color.

Mairzie Dotes

Grab one for Yourself

Hello,

I would like to join other wonderful painters on the subject “Food with an Attitude”.

This fruit in my painting is called durian, very expensive, very famous for the people who like them in SE Asia.

Some people describe durian fruit as having a succulent, creamy filling but smelling like some rotten cheese. It is considered to be King of the Asian Fruit. It is of the size of a football or larger with thorny hard skin. Inside is packed with yellowish custard like fruit. It does taste like sweet custard also (that is if you get over the smell, and know how to cut this fruit without dripping your own blood.) During harvest time, prices never drop to dirt-cheap levels, as they do for pineapples and bananas.
    Well, durians have a strong smell, and ones must like or dislike them right away, no middle way on this fruit.
    Most public places such as airports, shopping malls, hotels ban this fruit.

For me, there is an international grocery in VA who sells it for $1.99/lbs, skin and all. So a durian of the size of a football costs about $10.00, not bad for a person in USA who likes it. I have to store this fruit in a separate fridge for the smell can invade anything like milk, etc. and Hubby will suffer.

This is my first painting on this fruit. Not so happy with the monkey either. By the way, monkeys loved this fruit; they do have a very difficult time cracking it open though. A documentary showed how the monkeys in Indonesia cracked them open by throwing the fruit against sharp rocks. The same documentary also showed how elephants wrapped their trunks around the fruit and beat them against trees.

An Indonesian told me that in the older days, the young girls were taught to inquire the young men who they consider marrying, whether they like durians or not. If not, try not to marry because a lot of Indonesian consider the durian smell like an unclean, private part of a female.

Any commenst and advice is always welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Durians and Monkey.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	47518  

Ops, no one is here!!!

Jasminek,
    What an interesting story about the Durian fruit. Thanks for posting it
    though don't think even monkey's would care to eat the stinky stuff.
    Watched a previous "Andrew Zimmern" food channel segment on the
    putrid plant and even though A.Z. can eat most anything, the below
    site tells a much different story.

Mr. Zimmern thinks the Durian smells/tastes like rotten onions and I
    think those pretty heels in your painting are really being worn by a guy
    as a disguise so's no one will know it's really him that is emitting.

---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vm9ik5pjo
    Mairzie Dotes

Mairzie, thanks for the comment. This fruit is one of theose things that either one likes it or hates it. All dogs I know love them!

Hmm, that reminds me of a gibbon (a type 0f monkey) we used to have as a pet when I was little, he loved the durian, we just thought he had expensive taste!

Happy painting.

This thread cannot vanish. How many hits had this had??????

Mairzie Dotes, this whole thing was inspired. Look what havoc you've wrought with the taste buds! Everybody can relate to food o' tude. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I think Dave said all art projects would stay, but good to make sure to save this classic. more vegatables!!!

Doesn't hurt to see them again in case people never heard of these threads and now seeing them may want to participate. But who knows. I feel better about them being at the head of the line than the end.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

A wonderful thread with a great topic,I thought I could add this guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images