Page 67 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Food with an ATTITUDE! (an invitation)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Oh no toooo funnnnny!!!

Alexandra,
    Was in one silly pre-Thanksgiving mood and thought that I would take
    my and Caesar's love of pizza and weave it into a story line. Just for the
    record ... I DO NOT have shoes like that! Thanks for enjoying!
    Mairzie Dotes

Unhappy 1936 Cigarette Ad ~ ~ ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of "Food With an Attitude" ... just came across this 1936
    magazine ad for Camel cigarettes that recommends smoking them
    as an aid for digestion after Thanksgiving dinner ... ... quite
    unbelievable! Thought you might be interested in seeing the campaign
    spin promoted by product manufacturers that prompts consumers into
    purchasing them for their "health." The text is small but here's hoping
    that you can read the general intent of this amazing advertisement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1936 Thanksgiving Camel Ad.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	349.9 KB 
ID:	36330  
    Mairzie Dotes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that add have an overall brown look to everything? Smoked turkey was it back in the day?

I bought an old set of Jack Benny TV shows - 39 episodes for 5 dollars. (funny for the people who put the package together because 39 was the age he never admitted to being older than, plus he was cheap, so it worked, heh)
    But watching the shows was almost like watching all the stars plugging smoking for a half hour, even when they weren't doing anything with smokes directly.

Anyway, as amusing as the shows were/are, their sponsor was Lucky Strike cigarettes. And they were so integrated with the shows that if you cut that content out, you cut the show itself. Their show characters did the commercial bits in the context of the show, humor and all. And their gags used smoke as often as possible it seemed.

They got away with this on radio because those were who they had in the studio to deliver the message. It would be as if you would be watching an episode of The Lone Ranger and he would ask Tonto for a cigarette, and that the crooks were making off with cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes, and that the posse were all smoking, and the Indians were blowing smoke rings to talk. And don't get me started on the medicine show. These shows WERE the medicine show. And BAD MEDICINE at that.

So the upshot of that is that I bought 39 episodes, with Lucky Strike being mentioned at the front and back, and a couple times by some smart executive looking salesman who sounded all scientific. . . oh, and there was one time they had a close up on a beautiful woman from about the shoulders taking a deep hit off the smoke and letting it out in a slow, long exhale, like it was the most sensuous glide one could imagine, and she looked into the camera and smiled oh so contentedly. I just about fell out of my chair. Sheeeeeesh and double sheeeeeesh.

Be Happy-
    Go Lucky
    Lucky tastes better

Oh those slathering sexual slogans!

Heck, I remember various cigarette companies used professional athletes, and they claimed it was actually GOOD for your wind.

How many years did I smoke? Geez. . . 30? Tracking it back, it's not much of a surprise how I took it up. And quitting was like turning my back on a lot of deep deep imprints.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Red Pears

I actually painted this before I discovered the forums, but I guess pears qualify as a food don't they? I don't know if these ones have attitude though.

I did this one with the chalk tool and blended a bit with the palette knife. Something on my wish list for future Art Rage versions would be a blending tool for dry media.

I plan to post more items in this thread since food is my favorite subject!

Name:	Red Pears.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	36382  

Quote Originally Posted by IrishRose61 View Post
    OMG, you were right when you said they'd do anything to sell poison! Geesh... can't win. Remember the old slogan, if you can't beat em, join em? And 'you can take Salem out of the country BUT, you can't take the country out of Salem'. Their songs were always fun and catchy too, until you see an xray of your lungs after smoking for 20 years! Sick!

Dear irishrose,
    Could not BELIEVE that ad when I came across it ... the message is ...
    have a smoke after EVERY BITE! ROTFLing! The sad thing is that I am
    in the mist (once more) of breaking the habit and seem to be adjusting
    fairly well. Thank goodness I don't DRINK but must confess ... with the
    cut back in cigarettes I seem to be swilling down an overabundance of
    Ovaltine ... the "classic" chocolate flavor of course.

You have awsome recall in relating some of those kicky cigarette ad
    slogans that used to be aired. Many thanks for sharing them!
    Mairzie Dotes

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that add have an overall brown look to everything? Smoked turkey was it back in the day?

I bought an old set of Jack Benny TV shows - 39 episodes for 5 dollars. (funny for the people who put the package together because 39 was the age he never admitted to being older than, plus he was cheap, so it worked, heh)
    But watching the shows was almost like watching all the stars plugging smoking for a half hour, even when they weren't doing anything with smokes directly.

Anyway, as amusing as the shows were/are, their sponsor was Lucky Strike cigarettes. And they were so integrated with the shows that if you cut that content out, you cut the show itself. Their show characters did the commercial bits in the context of the show, humor and all. And their gags used smoke as often as possible it seemed.

They got away with this on radio because those were who they had in the studio to deliver the message. It would be as if you would be watching an episode of The Lone Ranger and he would ask Tonto for a cigarette, and that the crooks were making off with cartons of Lucky Strike cigarettes, and that the posse were all smoking, and the Indians were blowing smoke rings to talk. And don't get me started on the medicine show. These shows WERE the medicine show. And BAD MEDICINE at that.

So the upshot of that is that I bought 39 episodes, with Lucky Strike being mentioned at the front and back, and a couple times by some smart executive looking salesman who sounded all scientific. . . oh, and there was one time they had a close up on a beautiful woman from about the shoulders taking a deep hit off the smoke and letting it out in a slow, long exhale, like it was the most sensuous glide one could imagine, and she looked into the camera and smiled oh so contentedly. I just about fell out of my chair. Sheeeeeesh and double sheeeeeesh.

Be Happy-
    Go Lucky
    Lucky tastes better

Oh those slathering sexual slogans!

Heck, I remember various cigarette companies used professional athletes, and they claimed it was actually GOOD for your wind.

How many years did I smoke? Geez. . . 30? Tracking it back, it's not much of a surprise how I took it up. And quitting was like turning my back on a lot of deep deep imprints.

D Akey,
    Most everyone I knew while growing up smoked. My parents, relatives,
    friends and neighbors all embibed. Many T.V. and radio commercials
    regularly advertised the many cigarette brands and when settling in
    to watch a good theatre movie ... all of the stars were blowing smoke
    rings at each other with each pursed lip puff. He would move seductively
    close and slowly (sigh!) light her cigarette ... so inticing the image was
    and who wouldn't want to go on a date like that we thought? Possibly
    my girl friends and I secretly hoped by having cigarettes dangling out of
    our mouths ... Cary Grant might ask us out for dinner and cocktails .....
    soooooo I may as well give up the bad habit because Mr. Grant was not
    able to make it in to Pennsylvania after all.
    Mairzie Dotes

Lovely story and oh so cute! Great painting! I'm sorry I missed it! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

I forgot to tell you how much I love your play on words for the names of the ships. You are totally talented!

Dear irishrose,
    Am most happy to hear that you noticed the levity in the fictitious
    story and painting and I must humbly agree that at least in this case
    my talent did shine through like sun reflective Olive oil because as
    you can see I think I may have gotten dear Caesars painterly hat size
    correct ....... YAAAY!

A sincere thank you for the nice compliment.
    Mairzie Dotes

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezwiz View Post
    I actually painted this before I discovered the forums, but I guess pears qualify as a food don't they? I don't know if these ones have attitude though.

I did this one with the chalk tool and blended a bit with the palette knife. Something on my wish list for future Art Rage versions would be a blending tool for dry media.

I plan to post more items in this thread since food is my favorite subject!

Cheezwiz,
    Of COURSE pears would qualify as food and these particular three are
    most delectably painted and YES ... the attitude is quite there because
    my mouth "attitude" is now watering for a delicious taste. They are
    absolutely luscious in color and artistry ... a sumptuous, ripe trio and a
    gracious thank you for presenting this lovely piece.
    Mairzie Dotes

Dearest Mair,

You most absolutely did get Caesar's hat size correct! Good for you! And you have quite the imagination, you should write a children's book, or at least something funny. You make me smile all the time! xoxo

Dear irishrose,
    And doesn't Caesar look snappy dapper as all get out with those shiny
    buckles? Gee ... just happened to wonder ... why DID those pilgrims glue
    buckles on everything? Was it just for show and did Columbus manufacture
    them in his spare time at his uncle's buckle's r us shop? ( I dare ya to say
    THAT three times real fast! )

Me write a book? How very sweet you are for thinking of me in that way.
    Mairzie Dotes

Here I am settling down for a nice snack with my tooth faerie. That's me behind the camera. I found this one or a relative of this one under my pillow. Pic is a few years old so I can't recall exactly. Even the tooth faeries were outsourcing all the work.

Cute little rascal, though. A strange bedfellow. But what attitude!

The only thing I did to this photo was blur the area around my pal to make it corny like an Anne Giddes cherub or something. The attitude was discovered upon enlarging the shot.

Name:	IMG_0107piggie1A.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	321.4 KB 
ID:	36415  
    Last edited by D Akey; 11-30-2009 at 02:51 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream