ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stencil question

Gallery
    View images

Stencil question

Hi there.
    I'm new to Artrage and have been playing with it for a couple of days, I just love it!
    I have a question about Stencils. When I use a stencil and I want to paint close to the edges, I keep accidently moving the stencil. Shouldn't it be stuck to the artboard and only move when you right click? Am I doing something wrong?
    I'm using a Wacom Bamboo tablet, also new, and I have kept the standard settings for the buttons. I'm not pressing any buttons and ithe stencil still moves... Any advice would be appreciated!

Gallery
    View images
    Glad to hear you're having fun!

You're correct, actually it should only move when you right click. Can you tell me what happens if you:

1/ Open ArtRage
    2/ Open the stencils panel
    3/ Click the "Friskets" Category
    4/ Click the first preview so that you see it appear on your canvas
    5/ Close the Stencils panel, and select the paint brush tool
    6/ Draw a stroke of paint across the stencil

If that appears to work fine, see if you can see what the difference is between what you were doing before and the steps above, and let me know ( like using a different stencil, the way you did the stroke, the tool you had selected ). That may give us an insight as to what might be causing this to happen.

You're also correct in checking that you don't have the stylus button pushed down. The spacebar is the other key which would normally drag the stencil.

Just in case, if you're using the tablet software which came on your Wacom Bamboo CD, grab the latest version from Wacom's website ( www.wacom.com ) and install it, then restart your machine and see if you still get the same thing happening.

You could also try doing it with the mouse to see if there's any difference in the behavior just as a quick test. Let us know how you get on!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Dave for your answer.
    The only thing that solved the problem, was disabling the buttons on my stylus... Apparently they were very sensitive. I haven't downloaded the new drivers yet, do you think that would make a difference?

Gallery
    View images
    Ahh, I see! I had that problem initially when I moved to using a tablet, and I found it took me a little time to adjust to avoiding accidentally clicking in applications. I believe that the stylus buttons are a fairly on-off affair so I doubt that updating the drivers would make much difference, but it never hurts to have the latest!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design