ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New to ArtRage

Gallery
    View images

New to ArtRage

I picked up ArtRage at the NY ComicCon from the SmithMicro booth. After I was done harassing them about the lack of support for MangaStudio, ArtRage caught my eye and, given the price, I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

I have a potential freelance illustration gig coming up and it involves drawing fantasy-type scenes; I've never done that kind of work before - fantasy isn't really my thing - but drawing is drawing, and with new stuff to draw I thought I'd draw it in a new package so I could see if it would be useful in the future.

Short answer: yes! But the program really needs better (more accurate?) pressure sensitivity and a non-oil brush so that it's easier to simulate a traditional inking process.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with so far. Never drawn a dragon before, but it didn't come out too bad...though for the time being, because of the brush limitations (and why the heck are brushes resolution-dependent?!) I guess it's back to either waiting for Manga Studio to get a Vista update or SketchBook Pro, which doesn't allow canvas rotation (lame!)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    That's a seriously cool dragon.
    For a better inking tool, try the marker pen with the 'Art Pen' option on, with softness set to full.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy! I'll give it a whirl.

Gallery
    View images
    oh yes !

cool dragon
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    looking good so far nick, fantasy art is not my thing either but you may find this directory of fantasy artists and illustrators good for reference
    fantasy-artists.co.uk
    HEKIM
    http://www.b3ta.com - the image challenges are great fun
    http://netropolis.lineone.net - the most addictive game ever

Gallery
    View images
    Hekim,

Thanks! I ended up giving up on the inking of the dragon in ArtRage - after playing with Andy's suggestion it actually ended up looking TOO much like a real ink pen, and I needed a more animation-type look.

BUT, I did end up using for my bi-annual, test-if-I've-improved self-portrait. So, for a more realistic style, ArtRage had no problem nailing it on the first try.

Very cool little program...that desperately needs user brush presets. I switch between brush sizes pretty often, and having to remember the settings or write them down kinda eliminates one of the benefits of doing digital inking - my traditional, real-world brushes remember their sizes .
    Attached Images Attached Images