ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question About DPI Resizing in AR for Export Files

Question About DPI Resizing in AR for Export Files

I have a question about Art Rage export files.

I have attempted to export files of images created with Art Rage 2.5 into a bmp, jpg, or png format. I have tried to use the resize image option in Art Rage to change the image to 300 dpi resolution for printing.

Whenever I reopen the image in another program such as Corel Photo Paint 12 (a program I use often for printing images), the resolution always appears at 96dpi and I have to resample to 300 dpi again. Also noticed this same situation with other programs.

Why is this happening? Although the file appears in the Windows folders under properties to have the correct dpi that I created in AR, whenever the same image is opened in another program the file seems to revert back to a dpi under 100 before resizing.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

I haven't had a need to bring anything I've worked on into another program (for additional work) so far, but I did notice this a couple times when I brought images into Photoshop to resize for display on the web. Like Stephen, everything I brought in ended up with a 96dpi.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

The PSD format is the only one we export DPI settings to, so if you export from a 300dpi ArtRage file to any other format you'll get the right number of pixels but the dpi setting will be lost.

DPI doesn't really mean that much though. If you create an ArtRage 300 dpi image at 3 inches square you get 900 pixels across and down. If you export the file it's 900 x 900 and when you import it in to another package that file is still 900 x 900.

If the package you imported in to thinks it's a 96 dpi file and you then rescale it to 300 dpi, it's going to resize your image and that damages the detail (it thinks the image is 96 dpi with 900 pixels, and wants to change those pixels to 300 dpi so it more than triples the number of pixels).

What you really want is to print the image at the same size you created it (300 dpi, 3 inches square). Don't resize it unless you are happy with losing detail.

DPI can be a confusing thing, but if you ignore it for the most part after you create the file you should be okay. Just remember that the pixel size is what's important to it, and the pixel size does not change on export. Print at the original DPI you created the image and you're fine.

As an aside, if you open up the 300dpi 3" x 3" file you exported from ArtRAge in say Photoshop, go to Resize it and resize it to 300dpi 3" x 3" it should just change the DPI setting but not resize the image (the pixel size is already correct) so if you really want to change the DPI value you can.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Also helpful... if you de-select the resample image checkbox when resizing in photoshop it will show you, automatically. the changes in size when you change the dpi. Conversely, changing the size with the resample image button off will show you the consequent changes in dpi.

resampling (default on) uses algorithms to fake surrounding pixel information by adding more pixels... usually degrading the image. Hardly noticeable if you only increase the size by 50% of the original size or less.

You know, I think the last time I redid the DPI of an image like this was in Photoshop 3, I didn't know about the resample check box, that makes it much easier!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the information here yet still one problem.

I realize my printer is getting old and worn out yet for some reason when printing an Art Rage file exported to bmp, jpg, or png with other programs I wind up with a lot of banding or warnings that the resolution is too low, especially with Corel Photo Paint. This may be the same situation with other format export options in Art Rage also yet these three are the only ones I normally use. I usually have to increase from the 96 dpi to something higher in the resample or resize option of other programs. This usually corrects the banding problem and/or the warning notification.

I have also noticed that in Art Rage when working with exploded views of anything over 100% magnification to close in on fine detail the application of pixels does not seem as clear as other programs such as Corel Painter. I have come to the conclusion this is occurring due to pixels being less in proportion with Art Rage. Therefore causing paint brush strokes within each pixel to be larger causing more distortion when attempting to create a straight smooth brush stroke. This would make sense when considering the problem with printing as described above.

There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

Hi Stephen,

Can you let me know what size you are assigning to your painting when you create it, and whether you are setting it in inches, pixels etc., and that the DPI value you assign is? That way I should be able to work out what's happening.

The reason you are seeing the pixels less clearly when you zoom in with ArtRage is that we do some cunning trickery (technical term!) to smooth the image out precisely because the product isn't meant to be about the pixels, so when you zoom in we try to make the image look a bit more natural. This doesn't change the actual contents of your painting at all, just how they appear on the screen in ArtRage when zoomed in.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hey Matt,

That was my conclusion here, the paint brush in Art Rage creates a lot more texture in your canvas and simulates real oil paints or acrylics.

This is not a real problem since depending on what I plan to do with an image, try to use the program that best fits the objective.

The same situation occurs at default AR settings or the settings most often used for printing, 300 DPI at either 800 X 600 pixels, or twice that size 1600 X 1200. When using inches, normally document size 11 X 8.5.
    Depending on the circumstances and objective of the image I use these various settings.

I have an image posted in the after nine o'clock section. Involved in a project right now where this same composition and portrait is being created from scratch with serveral different programs. Art Rage being one of them. From this project there is a noticeable difference on how the different programs handle the same type of image creation with brush stroke applications. Also finding some variable situations with other details in the process.

Thanks for your time and consideration.