Thread: Brush texture appearing on export to PSD

Gallery
    View images

Brush texture appearing on export to PSD

Hello,
    I am using ArtRage 2.5.20 and it performs very well save for an irritating little bug... or at least I think it's one.
    I paint so as to get no texture - the colour looks completely flat in ArtRage - but if I export to PSD, I get brush textures. That happens only when I export to PSD. I exported to PNG and the picture looked exactly as the ArtRage painting. This happens not only to oil brush strokes, but also to completely flat strokes, as the felt pen's! Is this a bug or is there something I've been doing wrong?
    I use ArtRage on a Macintosh with OS X Leopard (10.5.2) on it. To paint, I use a Wacom Graphire tablet.

Could you help me please?
    Thanks in advance

Mikolaj

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

The problem with not being able to see bristle patterns in the paint strokes can be due to gamma settings causing the colours to appear overly bright and washed out. Could you send a copy of a painting that demonstrates this problem to support@ambientdesign.com, along with a PNG and PSD exported from it so that we can see what's happening?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Mikolaj: I've had this same problem before when I wanted a "flat" result. It looked great while painting, but whenever I exported it the textures became visible.

Here's a workaround I use which may help: make a new layer on top of all your other layers. Set the paper opacity to 100% and the paper color to white. Then set the Blending Mode to Multiply and the Bump Blending Mode to Replace. I don't know if this will work for your purposes but it couldn't hurt to try.

Gallery
    View images
    Note that you can also toggle lighting rendering by pressing the <F5> function key.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Note that you can also toggle lighting rendering by pressing the <F5> function key.
    Wow! That works indeed... I didn't see this shortcut in the manual though...
    Thanks for the help,

Mikolaj

Gallery
    View images
    We sort of sneaked it in to a recent release because a number of people asked for it but it was one of a couple of unofficial features basically The other one is:

Export of Channels: For technically minded users, selecting ‘Export Layer…’ from the Layers Menu while holding down Shift will export the contents of that layer to multiple image files for each channel (Color, Bump, Shininess, Reflectivity).
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage
    We sort of sneaked it in to a recent release because a number of people asked for it but it was one of a couple of unofficial features basically
    Hmm... unofficial features? Have you also got *unofficial* shortcuts for getting flat oil brushes or watercolour effects? Would be nice...

Mikolaj