Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator to my Skull

Gallery
    View images

Elevator to my Skull

I was listening to "The Kills" today, it's all their fault. :wink:

I'll be using an interesting collection of tools to create this so I thought I'd share the process through screen grabs for a final tutorial.

I'll be using my scanner, real paper samples, pencil/paper, camera, vintage blueprints, velum drawings and, as a reference, the fabulous book: "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblet.

First step was of course the sketch. Fast and loose during the few free moments at the office.
    I then searched out vintage blueprints of elevators via google for reference and photo manipulation..er RAGEmanipulation.

I cut out the blueprint of choice and applied it to the sketch for a simple reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images

Elevator to My Skull

I then grabbed a handful of paper sample books and found the color palette, shredded the paper, laid the strips out on the scanner glass and scanned a couple of different passes for layer manipulation and affects for a final canvas build.
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    Scan2
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    Multiple layering, and fidling with the variations of layer affects within ArtRage2 allowed me to build my final canvas at 17 X 24 inches.
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    So, the next step will be creating the rest of the art inside ArtRage2.
    I plan on using multiple tools, and my final goal is a fine art looking illustration with photo-depth, and tactile feel of art crayon and oils.

That's the plan anyway.... 8)

Will post iteration grabs and notes as the process unfolds. I'm quite excited about this one.

At the end of this exercise I'll make available free downloads of paper, stencils, texture photos and other presets that comes of this project.

Cheers!
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    Well Kathy, that's a fascinating process and an ambitious goal. Somehow, I'm sure you'll accomplish it though. Good of you to share it with us. I'm sure the developers are well pleased that you're using ArtRage to pull all of this together.

Gallery
    View images
    I found the perfect photo to add to the flavor of the piece.
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    I duped the broken glass to four different layers, then continued to flip, rotate and affect the layer preferences until I found the look. I then merged those four into one layer and created a blank layer at 65% overlay between the base canvas and broken window.

2 hours of painting later (and one merge layer, sorry, meant to keep them seperate for the screen grab) I find myself here, not quite ready for an elevator, but getting close...
    Kathy LaFollett
    www.visionized.com

Gallery
    View images
    The naked graphic designer unleashed! Peel back the layers of a designer and there's color, shape and a designer's core.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Very creative!!!!!!!! I love this.