ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: interface suggestion

interface suggestion

Not sure if anyone has posted or come up with is yet but her eit goes. With the introduction of new tools and such you need more space to put them. Well my idea is this. On the tool pallete you have the brush, pencil etc etc. Well what if you clicked a button or keyboard key, and the pallete spinned like a wheel to hide the first set of tools to reveal the next set. This would eliminate interface clutter and keep it pretty much the same. You guys get what im saying?

Sounds interesting, but I donīt the reason for it. You can hide all the toolbars with one click and restore them the same way. Seems like the rotating thing would just add an extra click to the process.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

how about if it spins without any need of clicks..just by hovering the cursor over the end of the toolbox on the screen...or with the scroll wheel.. i guess its going to be kind of ackward to some users...and mac users dont have a scroll on their mouse,so they would have to go different way with the spinning..

curently the beauty of the toolbox is that its buttons are so big ,while not taking much of the screenspace.Being big makes them easy to pick by the eyes of the user,one does not have to focus too much on the toolbox or remember where the tools are.If AR3 has new tools,they would need to reorganise the toolbox and probably make the size of the tool icons smaller. To retain the curent size,such a feature would be a strong decision,i think. Its taking advantage of the shape of the toolbox..
    Last edited by blurymind; 11-06-2008 at 10:15 AM.

This would work well if lots of new tools were added.

They could be on the unseen quarters of the toolbox, ready to spin into view when needed.

I think it is simpler to learn the keyboard shortcuts.
    I don't even use the tool wheel anymore so it is out of view most of the time.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries

Quote Originally Posted by alain boisvert View Post
    I think it is simpler to learn the keyboard shortcuts.
    I don't even use the tool wheel anymore so it is out of view most of the time.
    I'm with AB on this i use the kb now of on my tablet i've got my popup menu working with the tools on it.

Just my 10c input
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

IMHO one of the great strengths of artrage is that you do not need a great learning curve to become productive, kids can pretty much play without having to dig through menus etc, the more you have to learn {to start} the less the initial experience is enjoyable.
    A compromise possibly would be to add an extra segment to the tool wheel, with the option of hiding particular tools for the experienced player,
    this would maintain the ease, but still allow more experienced users to concentrate on what they need.
    My kids would be happy to beta test the new version(when available) and I would supply feedback
    First you learn patterns, then more patterns, finally you dance

when i think of the spinning toolbox, a certain mac osx applications comes into my mind:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXiy_0Ld54s
    constellation in quicksilver

also check out this experimental menu widget for gtk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tumQ-...eature=related
    Last edited by blurymind; 11-18-2008 at 02:38 AM.