ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Resizing, etc.

Resizing, etc.

I started thinking about this while reading the Gallery forum. Rick commented (fruit bowl thread): "Looks like in the future I will have to work in much larger resolution, if I want to have a print of any reasonable size."

I know you can resize/rescale a painting. Is it possible to change the dpi and save after the fact as well? I thought knowing this might be of use. (Sorry if I missed this point in the manual.)
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Pixels per inch is your major consideration. I figure 100 pixels per inch for my printing considerations and my prints look just as good as my monitor image. So if you want to print a 12x15 for example, set your image size in ArtRage for 1200x1500 pixels.

http://www.layersmagazine.com/photos...ng-images.html

Thanks for the response Robert.

I read your earlier thread about sizing. What I was curious about is whether you can change the dpi after you have done the initial save. I suppose I should just try changing and see what happens. :wink:

DPI only comes into play when you send a file to a printer ... yours or a commercial printer. The only reason for setting DPI in ArtRage is if you plan on printing directly from there.

If you resize your document using the resize or rescale dialog after creation then the DPI value will be applied if you measure in inches, mm, or cm. So if you create a 1000 x 1000 document then want to print it out at 5" x 5", 300 dpi then you would use the Resize panel and set the size in inches and the DPI to 300. That won't add any extra data to the paint already in the image, but it will give you 1500 x 1500 pixels to paint in to. It's safest to think about it before you start so that you don't lose any data.

However, if you wanted to print it out at 5" x 5", 200dpi then you already have enough pixels in your 1000 x 1000 image so you can just go to the resize panel, leave the size in pixels and set the dpi to 200. When you are working in pixels, DPI is used only when you print. When you are working in inches, cm, or mm it is used to set how many pixels are in the image. So it's safe to change DPI as much as you like when you are in pixels mode, the image will never be resized, only the print output.

DPI can be a confusing beast!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Robert and Matt! I think I´ve got it now, sort of. :wink:

Matt, you´re right. DPI is sometimes tricky and much discussed in other graphics forums.