ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Use of one tool option Crashes Artrage -help!

Use of one tool option Crashes Artrage -help!

I have been using Artrage for a few days no problems whatsoever -- I suddenly had a slow down and "Artrage not responding" error when I use a particular palate knife!

(OS: Windows Vista) -- so I thought maybe my painting was too large. So I closed out the program. Restarted my computer and opened the application back up -- just working on the layer I had trouble with.
    Still crashed -- slow....to respond -- cursor barely moving ( tool was palate knife, 0% pressure, soft palate knife)

-So I did all the above again, closed all my other applications and made a brand NEW painting -- just a single squiggle of paint. I then tried to smear it... Flat palate knife worked ok -- but when I tried the "soft" palate knife -- it gave me the error again "Artrage is not responding" after slowing down...
    then it crashed.

What do I do? Do I e-mail customer support? I have closed and restarted the program and rebooted the computer, etc. I'm trying to make a present for someone and time crunched --

Hi there,

Are you getting a crash error message or just a generic "not responding" Vista message. The soft palette knife option is fairly resource intensive, and its speed will depend on the speed and resources of your computer. The reason I mention this is that it's a definite difference between the soft and flat palette knife.

Vista will display a generic message like that if your computer is busy processing something and you try to do more things, in which case given time it should finish what it is doing. If the cursor's barely moving when you're trying to use this tool, does it work more smoothly if you decrease the tool size? That sort of behavior sounds like the computer might be having trouble keeping up with the processing required to use the tool at that size.

What are the specifications of the computer you're using Vista on? ( RAM, CPU speed, free hard drive space )
    Also, what is the size of the tool when you're using the soft palette knife and what size painting are you working on?
    If you're getting a more specific crash error, let us know what it reads if possible.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Sweedie,

What I'd recommend doing is choosing to send the information to Microsoft when you have a crash on Windows. If Microsoft receive a number reports of a similar crash we are able to get more detailed information on the crash including debug information which can help us to see where it's coming from.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    HI folks,

I had the same thing happen as Starlightning. But mine is caused because I get in a hurry and expect the pallette knife to move as fast as my hand is. All you have to do is sit for a few seconds while the knife catches up. And sometimes it does seem like it's frozen up, but it never has.
    If you try to click on the page before it catches up, you do get the message.....artrage not responding. (but it should say... artrage trying to keep up).
    We have to remember to have patience. And it does only happen with the soft pallette knife. But no problem. Good comes to those that wait.

Take care all, Julie

Good point Julie. I always work slowly and "admire" what Ive done so far.

Sweedie, Ive used IE since its beginning. But I learned a long time ago to stay away from their betas. I still use IE7 as my primary browser, but Ive found that Opera is faster if youre downloading a lot of graphics.

For what its worth.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Thanks for all the great replies! I was away from my Artrage for a few days but have tried it again and have not noticed the same problem. For me, the day it happened, I re-sized the knife and it seemed to improve.

For me it was not a matter of being patient. Once the "Artrage is Not Responding" would come up... deal was over. No more painting. No amount of waiting would remedy the situation. I don't think it was a problem with my computer:

My computer has a 500 GB hard drive of which I have about 400 GB free, an AMD Athelon dual core processor 64 x2 6000 -- 3.00 GHz-- and 3 gigs of RAM.

Also... when this happened I had NO other applications running.