ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make any real money with digital paintings?

Does anyone make any real money with digital paintings?

I get some strange faces when i say im a digital artist. People dont want to pay for painting not done with real paint .
    I get this feeling like they think im a cheater. A fraud.
    Do any of you get this same reaction ?

Could you perhaps transfer your digitally created artwork into oil paint on canvas for example?

I was just wondering thats all, because the notion of 'cheating' is fairly universal. People have been historically conditioned to consider painting-on-canvas to be of value, similarly they imagine the computer is doing all the work instead of the artist digitally. Its ridiculous, but the only area where digital art is a valued skill seems to be industry and advertising.

If you can get work there you are OK. But on a brighter note, some members of this forum are already selling printed work on an American website.
    Do a search on the forum, there's a thread by RobertsWade which tells you how to...

Good luck

It's a hot argument.

If they are collectors, it's the difference between buying a print vs. the original. For rarity and thus price, it matters. Like owning a postage stamp or coin or a first edition. Even an earlier print in a single print run.

It loses the snob appeal. It's an artificial criteria that translates out into money, so to them it's real.

On the other hand, and in fairness, the surface of the best print is sort of slick and mechanical when you get close enough. That dimension is not yet reproducible.

Plus there is no such thing as a limited edition. Once it's digital, it could exist anywhere, not least of which is with the printer or copy house. It could show up on the internet or as a pirated copy from the time you create it.

With art that's been done on the computer, one never knows how much someone actually did from scratch by just looking at the finish. And I guess they care about the artist process as much or more than the beauty or profundity or whatever of the image itself.

Art museums are name dropping affairs. Yet, I wonder how many of these people who complain about the big names would care as much about the old works knowing that frequently many journeymen, assistants and apprentices participated in creating certain paintings, or that some artists used camera obscura and traced their images.

But again, many people care about resale value, and if it looks like there's little worth for something on the open market, that's their measure.

The order of my ranking is if it impresses me as an image in some way, then the artist, and then the medium/end product. But I'm not a buyer. I'm an artist. And I love the freedom I now have to do virtually anything with the computer. And it may or may not suggest that I paint it in the real world for commercial or practical reasons like selling to those people you just mentioned, or for cutting out middleman printing costs and all that.

The computer is a two edged sword. Going from journeyman to anyman and infinite reproducibility has an impact that people judge.

If the people you want to impress with your great art done on the computer are not impressed, I would either do what impresses them, or begin switching to people who are impressed by what you do.

If it's a matter about marketing, get more creative with that.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Fortunately, I don´t have to worry about selling anything. I just enjoy the creative process.

But as an addition to the discussion and to Dakey´s comments, I have noticed that when I´ve shared the few things I´ve done with friends or family, they always comment: "Gee, that looks just like a REAL painting." :shock:
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    How many times have I heard that Scott. Lordy if people knew how many hours we put into one painting. (And boy do I tell them) That there is just as much frustration and joy and sense of accomplishment as painting on a canvas. Sometimes I even find it's harder to put on a screen what I want than it is when I try it on canvas.

Oh and by the way. I have been asked by a work associate of my daughter, to paint her a "original" for her as soon as she moves into her new home.

I know......you all probably accomplished that years ago. But this is my first. I'm still grinning and clapping my hands.

Ummm.... Yes digitlal art sells. Painters make money off of repro's. You want to put your art into the hands of those that cant afford originals but maybe just bought a house and wants to invest in glicee's. The company that prints my stuff destroys the file as soon as they finish the job. If you are just going after those "rich" people you'll probably starve. Glicee's do appreciate man. whoever you are in business with make sure they destroy your file.

some great info thanks all.