ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stencils are fun...but...

Stencils are fun...but...

Ok, this may be quite a big ask. I have AR2.5, using Mac OSX, and I'm having a lot of fun using the stencils, and have also created a few of my own, using my own images.

I was wondering...(getting to the point, eventually! lol) is it possible to resize the stencils, or turn them around in other ways?

And also, is there another way of using a stencil many times, without having to "remove all stencils" and re-selecting it again?

Like I said, I am loving AR2.5 as it is, and this is just a general enquiry.

Gallery
    View images
    You can move, scale, and rotate the stencils using the buttons in the bottom toolbar in ArtRage.
    There are also key-modifiers on left- and right-click:

Spacebar: Move
    Control: Rotate around the pin
    Alt/Cmd: Scale around the pin

Right-click will also move a stencil, or bring up the stencil menu if you dont move.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about re-using a stencil. Can you give me an example?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images
    Ok..... I find the Alt key..... where is the Cmd key?

Sorry truely blonde here.

Hi AndyRage! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Regarding re-using a stencil..ummm... lets say I wanted to make a border, and use a stencil. I find I have to apply it once, remove it altogether, THEN reselect the same stencil again in order that I can move it down to join the first one. Also, say I wanted to do stars, again I have to cancel and reselect the same stencil. I just wondered if there was a way of moving the stencil to different areas so I could use it more than once without removing it.

Thanks very much for the other stuff/advice btw. I will try that out.

Actually - its fine...its ALL good...I have got it sorted now! I should really learn to explore more, I am far too impatient to get painting first, rather than finding out what stuff can do.

Sorry to bother you - but thanks for your help anyways! :lol: :roll:

Gallery
    View images
    Clara, you can move a stencil by holding down the right click on the mouse. Hold it down while moving it.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by juliediane
    Ok..... I find the Alt key..... where is the Cmd key?

Sorry truely blonde here.
    Cmd key is on an Apple Mac keyboard. If you're on a Windows PC then your keyboard probably has an Alt key instead.

We try not to be platformist.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Actually, I don't know if this was ClaraG's question exactly, but it's something I've been trying to find myself, and that's whether or not there is a way to duplicate a stencil? Now I know I can always drag another one onto the canvas, but the problem there is they don't match the scale and orientation of the original. Sometimes I need a certain scale for the stencil and thus have to put them end to end. Doing this requires a lot of trial an error in getting the stencils to match up both in size and position. Is there an easy way to do this that I'm simply overlooking? If not, perhaps it's something to look forward to in ArtRage 3?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Slight side-point: The Cmd Key is equivalent to the Control Key on a Windows keyboard. Option on OSX is the equivalent of Alt on Windows.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you Andy and Matt.

Julie