Thread: OK I give it a try

Gallery
    View images

OK I give it a try

Just started with painting one month ago., when I found ArtRage.
    Made this picture , one of my latests and ask for comment with
    if you can examples from what I could do better.
    I think the bushes in the middle can be better (other technic?)

Johan

A bigger file and all other paintings you can find here: http://users.pandora.be/jelan/artrage.html
    comments on them also welcome.

Johan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    I thought this was one you pasted a while ago, and if so, you've already received a lot of praise for this when you first posted it.

If I were throw out something I might do differently, I may make the yellow foreground plants a little less prominent. To me, the interest in the picture is the layering and depth - reaching back to the furthest parts. With that interpretation, the foreground plants are too dominant.

Those are my thoughts...

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Johan,

i ve been looking at this and not found much to critque on, it is a lovely painting......the only thing that springs to mind is that the bushes in the front .the light is coming from the front..whereas the rest of the trees .the light is coming from the left.......maybe a few more shadows in the bush........hope youre ok with that little suggestion.
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Gallery
    View images
    "I thought this was one you pasted a while ago"

True, but than nobody gave me advice what they like or not or
    would change.

So now you did.

I never mentioned that I painted my landscapes with real photo's as reference.

Thanks also Enchanter

Yes I am not pleased with the bushes too! More experimenting and trying I think!

Johan

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Johan,

I guess the one thing that bothers me with this landscape is the moutains in the background are rendered simlarly to the plants in the foreground. This flattens the illusion you are trying to create. The mountains being far off would be somewhat greyer and "blurryer" due to atmospheric effects (haze). I think perhaps if you greyed down the mountains and perhaps picked up some highlights in the foreground you would have a fairly accompished piece.

This is something that the earliest computer flight simulators suffered from. The programmers hadn't programmed any atmospheric haze and so things that were far away had the same clarity that things close by had. What ensued was a bunch of pilots getting ill when they used the flight simulator.

Brian

Gallery
    View images
    Johan,
    As Brian said"The mountains being far off would be somewhat greyer and "blurryer" due to atmospheric effects (haze). I think perhaps if you greyed down the mountains and perhaps picked up some highlights in the foreground you would have a fairly accompished piece."
    This is called atmospheric perspective . It attempts to mimic the human eye as things in the distance are blurry as apposed to things closer are in focus.
    There is nothing wrong with using reference photos , I use them all the time. Just make sure they are YOUR photos.
    You'll know when you get there!