Thread: First ArtRage Piece

Gallery
    View images

First ArtRage Piece

Hello fellow ArtRage users, this is my first post of this great forum and my first true digital painting. I myself am more of a regular graphic designer. I followed a tutorial in a thread on this forum. I found it particularly difficult to create the details..so I would love for some help in that department. Any critique would be humbly accepted. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    This is a good start MW. As you continue to learn the ArtRage toolbox you'll find ways to add detail. Layers and grains can be a big help there along with varying pressures and mixing up your choice of mediums, ie chalk, felt pen, etc. Hope you keep at it.

Gallery
    View images
    I like the look a lot. Nice color and action as if the shapes are swirling into place.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks guys, but I don't see how to use layers in a digital painting, because I am currently working on a face and I put the lips on a new layer..but they don't blend.

And thanks to you both for commenting.

One way to think of layers is the drying analog. When you want to let your paint "dry" you create a new layer. That lack of blending is exactly what you want in that case. Other blending modes like screen and multiply (not sure if AR does overlay) allow you to paint in highlights or shadows alone and increase your control. There's a lot of ways to play with the tools, so don't give up on them. Just have fun and experiment. You'll find a use for them.

As for the piece itself, I'm going to second what's already been said about the wonderful quality of the brush strokes. The swirling really evokes the wind. My one crit would be composition on this one. As I squint at it, the regular and very similar shapes of the pair of mountains and the pair of clouds together all along a horizontal and so aligned give a rigidity and doesn't complement the fluidity of the technique. As a potential fix, I would say to attack the left mountain, changing its profile, maybe opening the valley more between the two, varying their height. Anything to separate and change the composition so it's not so AA BB, if that's being communicated. Love the sky. You really have a sense for making texture tell your story.

Gallery
    View images
    hehe..thaks for the compliments..though I think it was the great tut that got me going.

As for the critique, much appreciated..I didn't think much about composition..just sorta made it hehe..

Again, much appreciated!

Gallery
    View images
    I think we are all sort of stunned by the beauty of it and loving what you did with the big oil brush strokes. It is really great as it is. Very dynamic piece and vivid color combination. I think what you refer to as detail will come by attempting hatching effects and blending effects with the various tools, but I wouldn't change this piece a bit. It works as is.
    Also you can turn up the thinner content to achieve blending effects that simulate detail.
    As for blending yes it has to be done on the same layer. Only paint applied on a layer will blend until it is merged then it will react with the paint on the combined layer. One possible workaround for this is to duplicate the first layer... do your blending on the new layer. Then you can lower opacity of the top layer to make it blend with the original. Or you could use various layer blending modes like multiply. Experiment. have fun.

Gallery
    View images
    Great start! Another great thing about layers, as GZ mentioned, is that once you have something basically as you want it, but still want to experiment/play around, copying that layer to another letīs you fool around without messing up what you had before. If all goes wrong, you still have your initial starting point. Not sure that came across clearly.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.