ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Art block

Gallery
    View images

Art block

For the past week or two I have been finding it difficult to get started.

Does anybody have any tips for getting rid of art block?
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    Do something out of the ordinary. I've found doing something like the following gets me out of my art "funks".

1. Doodle with a mark making device you've never used before.
    2. Draw with your left hand if you are right handed or with your right hand if you are left handed.
    3. Set up a still life and draw it on your paper upside down.
    4. Draw standing if you are normally seated....draw seated if you normally stand.
    5. Draw on a different color paper. <--This is the one that usually works for me. If you draw on white normally, get a grey sheet and vice versa.

Brian

Gallery
    View images
    I agree with all of what bcmillustrator,and Sweedie said and I add a few others which also work for me:

1)if you havent been doing enough fun stuff do something fun-
    go for a walk
    have a nap
    sit in the sun for 5 minutes
    read a good book
    look at a sunset
    or a gallery
    sit in a park and watch the world and the people go by for a while
    whatever works for you- I find i get inspired to do art most when im relaxed and happy and if i havent dont enough fun stuff i wont get started easily.

2)Puddle- open a canvas and 'play' with every tool in any clour that makes you happy, with no destination in mind-like kiddie finger painting and just play for a bit ,swirl things round etc, after i play for a while i find the inspiration sneaks up on me to do something more structured

3) write yourself a project-decide what size, colour, subject,media and then just do it ,whether you feel like it or not,dont judge the outcome when your finnished too much,just move on, and then when you are finnished with the first do another one etc till you start having fun all by surprise and its suddenly easier.

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    Hi all,

Some ideas I have found useful:

Do a Google image search ( with safe search on natch :wink: ) on any topic ( If you cant think of a topic then open a dictionary at random! ) you will invariably find pictures you hadn't thought of under that heading that will interest and lead you to search for something different and so on. Inspiration may well follow.

I have also tried an idea I read in a book I don't have anymore and that is to keep a scrapbook of, er, basically anything that interests you or catches your eye due to its style, nothing is excluded so it might be a sweetie wrapper, bus ticket, postcard, cartoon. Also keep a box of 'Found objects' again, anything that interests for whatever reason, a stone, piece of wood that looks like something else, a toy, anything. When the dreaded block hits, sorting through these and thinking about them and how they interest may lead to a 'story' or 'situation' that you might like to illustrate perhaps.

Good luck!

Andie

Gallery
    View images
    You could take a look in the art project forum too. You might find something there and get inspired by other contributions.

Gallery
    View images
    Some great ideas here. I find it's often difficult for me to concentrate and stick with my drawing and stuff unless I have some music playing in the background. Something not -too- interesting though that might distract!

Definitely a change of scene, going for a walk, taking a trip somewhere new, taking time out to relax and so on are all things I've found really useful when trying to get around being artistically stumped.

I really like the idea that Andie mentioned, of an artistic diary, sounds like a really fantastic way of finding inspiration. Often I think we tend to let the world go by without really experiencing it and being present, so it's all too easy to miss all those neat things "Hey that tree looks really awesome.." =)
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Another thing that springs to mind. Felfish posted a picture a while back using this little sentence generator below.

http://viaggg.free.fr/3CH/3ch_web.php

It comes up with some very strange things! We had quite a thread going for a while =)

It tends to come up with stuff like:

A lunatic robot fights with men lizards along a a river.
    A hairy little old woman with a duck receives a bionic mammal on a motorway.
    A nauseous zeppelin communicates with a chameleon at the edge of a cliff.

A tool that might appeal to the surrealists among us I suspect =)
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    :lol: thats ACE Dave! Gonna suggest we use that in our next game of 'meeting bingo'. For the uninitiated this is a game to while away long boring meetings where you, and a couple of co conspiritors agree a list of weird words or phrases with scores attached and you have to try and work them in to the meeting ( getting double points if you can make someone else write it on the whiteboard !! ) Should be able to generate some high scoring phrases there !! :wink:

Anyway, back to topic, something else that has worked for me is the sport of cloud watching. A noble pass time anyway you usually find everyone's mind is a bit surreal when trying to see shapes in clouds.

Come to think of it, that is something else I do in meetings when I can see a window! Guess I'm just bad :twisted:

Andie

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage
    Some great ideas here. I find it's often difficult for me to concentrate and stick with my drawing and stuff unless I have some music playing in the background. Something not -too- interesting though that might distract!
    Does time go a lot quicker when music is playing?
    It does seem to for me :?