Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harold the Elephant

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images

Harold the Elephant

OK....I need suggestions or directions. Harold is going to be a carton type character. When I try to go on from this point I loose all .. well I just loose all. I end up going back to the beginning. I just can't keep his personality when I try to go to the next step with him. ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Julie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elephant_180.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	14365  

Gallery
    View images
    I think he lost his purple crayon. . . did out Harold.

This is Harold and the green paint tube.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey - Ok I will get a smack on the hand from the hubby for saying this ........ HUHHHHHHHHH?

Is there a purple Harold? I'm so confused. LOL

Hey it's not my fault..... it's the blonde part. Well come to think of it.... that part is my fault. Oh well. LOLOLOL

Gallery
    View images
    Harold and the PC, er Purple Crayon. (You are on a PC aren't you?)

http://www.37signals.com/svn/images/haroldandpurple.gif

Famous children's book. He draws fanciful things into reality.

But no more inventive than your good self.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    PC? What's that. I live in a tent behind walmart, and go to the libray daily to use their computer.

LOL...... of course I'm on a pc you nutter. And nope I never heard of that book. And here I thought I was well read. LOL

Gallery
    View images
    That is some impressive handiwork I must say. Very cute.
    Very crafty of you. Hope you can afford all that paint. ha ha.
    I like it very much. Maybe a little fine tuning
    on the eye reflections. ?? or maybe not. It does have the look
    of a quilt also. Wouldn't want to ruin that.

Gallery
    View images
    Well... I guess it would be best to ask what type of look you are trying to achieve. When one asks for direction, the other needs to know where one would like to go with the finished product. Now you made mention that you'd like to make the image a cartoon illustration, which is good. But what type of texture are you trying to create? Do you want to keep the paint tube lines in there as an expressive approach? Are you trying to achieve a 3D looking image by using the tube (like putty on paper)?

Without these answers we'll have to go with personal opinion on determining where we, the viewers of your work, would progress from this point, rather then where you should take it were we trying to work in your style.

As such, were I creating this illustration, I'd continue on by defining the form of the elephant further. I would use the pallet knife to push the paint tube lines (as if it were putty on paper) and try to virtually sculpt the form of the elephant. I'd add new layers and change the "Bump blend modes" to Add or Replace the paint beneath as needed to create depth of form. and play with the different tools on those added layers to see which might be used to give the elephant a nice skin texture. (I had attached an image based on this idea, but I decided to take it down as I didn't want it to distract attention from your thread. If you'd like me to post it here I will, or I could PM you a link to it). (EDIT - At juliediane's request, I have attached my sample image to this post.)

This is only how "I" would go about finishing up the piece. It's not right or wrong, it's just an opinion given to you for ideas, which you may or may not wish to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you all much. It was one of those flash ideas . I love elephants. But I prefer the cute adorable kind the most. Someonesane, feel free to post your link here. It won't bother me at all. I attempted redressing Harold again last night and it still didn't please me. Thanks again all.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi juliediane,

I've attached the sample image I made to my original post, for you to view. I hope it helps.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you, not bad at all.