Thread: Artrage starter wont install and i just cant figure out why!

Gallery
    View images

Artrage starter wont install and i just cant figure out why!

Hey there,

I have wanted to use ARtrage for a while now, and i had this problem last time.

What happens is, i download the starter version msi, but when i go to open it it says windows cannot open this file, please select a program to open it with. im sure this is a standard problem with general .msi files, but i cant find the solution on the internet anywhere.

I cant download the artrage installer either because i dont have a liscence key, so im really confused and frustrated as of what to do!

Please help this program looks like so much fun!!!!!!!!!! any extra details about my system you need just ask, for now, im running vista ultimate.

i realy hope someone can help meee!!

Gallery
    View images
    Not really sure, but if you´re using Vista, do you have adminstrator rights enabled? This has caused problems for others trying to install other programs. Just a thought.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah im on as the admin, vista seems to really mess me about with a couple of programs, but this problems only been with this program and another one. i dont understand why it just wont install like a normal msi would :S

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there!

What's the size of the file you've downloaded, and the filename? Check these by right clicking on the file and going to properties. Just making sure that you have the installer and that it's a complete download to start with.

If I take a look at the latest starter installer I get:
    Size - 7.84 MB (8,225,280 bytes)
    Name - artrage2.5starteredition_win.msi
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Yep thats the exact specs of the file i have. name & size. so dissapointing artrage looks like so much fun! hope you can help me! youd be such an angel

Gallery
    View images
    I'd certainly like to! Let's see what we can find out. It's good to know that the file essentially looks ok.

Just to make absolutely sure, if you're running any download accelerators or download managers, disable them and redownload the Starter Edition from this direct link. Make sure to save it rather than open it directly from the website.

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/files/...dition_win.msi

Once you've done that, quickly check whether it runs. I doubt it but we can be pretty sure at this point that the file is all correct, so it's a good start.

If Vista is not recognising it as an msi file, I suspect there may be a problem with the Windows Installer ( the component of Windows which is used to run this type of file )

Can I get you to download and install this utility from Microsoft, and run it?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us
    ( Windows Installer Cleanup Utility ). It should give you a list of programs which have been installed via the Windows Installer.

Let me know what happens when you run it, including the text of any error messages which might occur, and also if Artrage is in the list. If Artrage is in the list, you can highlight it and remove as per the instructions on the page to remove any old installation information.

I suspect you'll just get an error, but that should give us more information about what's going on there hopefully.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Hello, thanks much!

I downloaded that file from the direct link, but still no luck i get the same problem.

I have downloaded and installed the Installer cleanup utility. I ran it and there were no error messages, yet artrage was not in the list.

Thankyou for taking time to help me!

Gallery
    View images
    It sounds to me as if the file extension .msi is not correctly associated with the Windows Installer on your system.

If you right click the file, do you see an option "Install". If so, what happens when you click that?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Theres no install option

If i bought a key for it would i be able to get that installer thats available here? its a sweet price i must admit yet i cant afford to buy it just yet.

but even then i wouldnt want to buy it to find out i cant install it anyway dohhhhh silly PC of mine!! ill slap its bottom. Vistas bottom anyway...

Gallery
    View images
    Buying the ArtRage Full Edition won't help here I'm afraid. The problem is that Windows Vista has lost the link between .msi files, and the part of itself which it needs to use to install them.

I did find a webpage which has some instructions which may do the trick for you and allow you to install .msi files again. ( http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...-can-i-do.html ) although I have not personally tried this myself on Vista so I can't guarantee that it will work / not cause problems.

If unsure, your best bet may be to contact Microsoft Support and ask them how to repair the association for .msi files, and give them the error message you are getting when you double click the ArtRage installer. You may need to back up your files and do a 'repair' install of Vista to fix the problem.

Once that's repaired, Windows will once again know what to do when you double click .msi installers and you should be able to install ArtRage and any other .msi files you download.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design