Thread: Not really an "issue" (stencils)

Gallery
    View images

Not really an "issue" (stencils)

Hello all,

I've been messing around a bit with the stencils and have noticed that when I paint over a stencil without moving it the paint doesn't overlap (meaning, if I put paint down, then lift my pen and then put more paint down, the color blends together seamlessly with no noticeable overlap). But, when I move or hide the stencil, then put down more paint the colors seem to overlap (For example, it's similar to using water colors, where adding the same color over a dried area would create a darker line of pigment there).

Now... The reason I don't want to say this is an "issue" or technical problem, is because I can think of times where being able to reproduce both of these styles would be benifical, if only I could control when it happened. I'm having problems, because I can't see through the stencils enough at times and have to move/hide them, but doing so means I can't put more color down without having the color overlap afterwards (and undoing the stencil move doesn't resolve it).

Here's a link to a video I made demonstrating (and explaining) what is going on:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2217594/6995213
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the detailed description there and the video. I see what you're talking about.

It looks to me as if youre stencil has many semi-transparent areas. The way Artrage works, these allow a certain percentage of the media's full opacity through. When you move the stencil, you're essentially resetting that and doing it again. We make sure that the threshold is set until you move the stencil. Currently there's not a way to ensure that that threshold is remembered when the stencil is moved and previous media is overlapped.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Dave,

I was playing around with things a bit during the slow moments at work yesterday and found a couple helpful workarounds for myself.

One option is that if I right click on an empty area of the canvas and begin to move it around, the stencils will disappear until the mouse button is released. This somewhat solves my issue with not being able to see what's going on underneath the stencils, without having to worry about the paint overlapping. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to forget the "threshold" settings like it does when one hides/moves the stencils normally.

Another option I found was simply covering the entire canvas with the stencil/s and then painting the entire layer. Then, by lowering the layers opacity to see beneath the layer, I just erased what I didn't need (but this is limiting, because essentially the only type of brush edge one would be able to obtain is the erases edge).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.