ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Slow drawing under OSX Leopard

Gallery
    View images

Slow drawing under OSX Leopard

Hi!
    I am evaluating the Art Rage 2 Starter Edition under Leopard OSX with a touchscreen Intel 1,2 Ghz Core , 1 GB RAM, 60 GB SSD (hard disk)
    and i am experiencing a latency problem.
    When i use the stylus in order to draw then there is latency between the cursor in art rage and the actual drawing..What i mean is that when i draw something the brushing is actually slow...(First the cursor is moving and then brush is showing up)
    Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Do i have to use some settings in order to make it work right?
    Please help me because you cant actually use this wonderful piece of software with this kind of latency.
    Thx in advance!

Gallery
    View images
    I never knew Apple did a touch screen machine? I use Artrage on my mac with leopard and it runs perfectly well on my cintiq tablet.

Cheers

Mike R

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah...this is a very first release of modbook...
    However there is a significant latency....

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

I sent an email out just now to you on this topic. It sounds like the problem you're experiencing is the gap between the stylus and the end of the stroke, which is due to the way ArtRage handles the way paint interacts with the brush head and canvas.

As a test: Paint a slow stroke but at the end of the stroke, stop moving and don't raise the stylus. If the stroke doesn't move any further when you stop moving then the problem isn't latency but the gap. Raise the stylus and if the stroke connects to that point then it's working as expected.

The solution at this point is to paint strokes naturally and not worry about the gap because it will be filled in as soon as the stylus comes up.

If you paint a rapid stroke and it is lagging behind, I'll need details on the speed of the modified Mac you're using.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi!I didnt receive any email...
    Yeah...Thats right...If i raise the stylus then the stroke connects to its point.
    However if i paint a rapid stroke, its lagging behind.
    I am on Intel Core Solo 1,2 Ghz, 1 GB Ram, GMA 950

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not sure why you're getting lag on the strokes. The machine's specifications aren't bad but I haven't got a modded Mac to test it with so I'm not sure.

Could you let me know what size of image you are painting on? With the Starter Edition ayou won't be having memory issues from layers but if the image is large that might be causing it. Do you have any other applications running when ArtRage is going?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Image Size : 1024x600 72 dpi,
    I use starter edition....

Gallery
    View images
    Image size doesn't seem to be a problem then. Can you let me know if you are running any other applications in the background, and what size brush you are using?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I dont run anything in the background...
    I use the default size of brush when the application starts...

Gallery
    View images
    Unfortunately I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. We've not had speed problems during testing on Leopard here, and while it could be related to the processor of the machine, ArtRage has been used on a number of modded MacBooks before so it doesn't appear to be a general problem so much as as one relating to your specific configuration.

You could try turning on the Precise cursor, which takes slightly less processing power than the normal cursor, and running a permissions check on the disk using the Disk Utility in case there is anything in there, but there's nothing else I can think of that might help at this point.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.