Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engulfed Lighthouse

Gallery
    View images

Engulfed Lighthouse

Hello again,

I guess I was in a painting mood today, as I've managed to paint up another one (thanks to D Akey posting an image for lighthouse painters). So here's my rendition of the image D Akey posted.

Last edited by Someonesane; 10-18-2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    It is like satin smooth shiny and beautiful. Really luminous and almost a pearlessence to the waves. Great painting.

Gallery
    View images
    Heck, I'll say it here too. That's a really impressive painting. You are a first responder type.

Very good action with the wave and the lighthouse looks well weathered -- an old veteran of many campaigns.

Great work.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you

I have been spending a lot of time doodling and experimenting with ArtRage to get used to the tools it offers. For whatever reason I was in the mood to paint a full image today. I always wanted to paint a raging ocean scene, but was too scared to commit myself to it with real Oil Paint. I think that's why I love ArtRage so much. You can experiment all day and never run out of supplies, lol.

Gallery
    View images
    ... and you never have to endure the smells or clean any brushes.

Gallery
    View images
    It's amazing SOS!!! Highly professional and powerful painting.

I just noticed that, due to the slight downward curvature of a couple of its circular sections, the lighthouse seems a little leaning towards us. Is it due to a sight from an higher point or is it the wave forces effect?
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    I did the painting pretty quickly (for me anyway) and lost sight of the perspective at some point. I guess one could play it off as the tower being warped by the pressure of the waves, but it was really just my warped sense of perspective from not paying attention.

Gallery
    View images
    Ditto on all the above! (Sorry for the lame response :wink: )

That scene captures the sublime of nature exceedingly well, sublime in the Romantic sense.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Truly captivating, I love the detail..how did you make those finer details, with a brush or pencil?

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks everyone 8)

Quote Originally Posted by +mw.Flash
    how did you make those finer details, with a brush or pencil?
    Well it depends on which details you are referring. The rails of the lighthouse were done with the chalks tool on a new layer with it's paper settings set to "cell" for a smooth appearance. The rust running down the sides was done in a few steps with different tools. I started with a bold stroke with the Oil Paint tool, then used the Airbrush tool set to low pressure to drag a streak down a bit and finished it off using the Pallet knife set to "soft" to pull the color down and soften the edges. The froth in the waves (which some might consider a "detail") is a mixture of Chalks, Airbrush, and Oil paints, mixed together with the Pallet knife set at different settings throughout the process. I also used a textured stencil I made to overlay some of the choppy looking splashes the waves have. I thought it would help break them up and keep them from looking to much like clouds.