ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: layers

Galena, Kansas, USA (Southeast corner of the state)
    Gallery
    View images

layers

Hello everyone.........I am truely blonde today. I have tried everyway possible to layer 2 pictures together.......AND IT WON'T WORK! I did it once before but can't remember how I did it. And I've read the manual over and over...... but they won't merge. What am I doing wrong? I'm close to tossing this laptop out the front door. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And make it as simple as you can. Evidently I've become DUMB. Thanks!

Julie

Gallery
    View images
    I'm a bit confused by the following line of your post:

I have tried everyway possible to layer 2 pictures together.......AND IT WON'T WORK!
    Are the layers not merging because of some unknown reason (meaning you've selected the "Merge With Layer Below" option from the layers list, but they still won't merge together), or did you just overlook where the "Merge" option was? If you are trying to use the "Merge With Layer Below" option, but still can't see what is beneath the top layer, I suppose it may be because the layer has it's paper's opacity set to 100% instead of 0%. But if that were the case, you'd not be able to see the layer beneath it to begin with.

Anyhow, if you're just overlooking the option to merge them, you'll find it by clicking on the black triangle arrow (under the eye on layer panel). Be sure you clicking the arrow of the top most layer to merge. I've attached an image of the option you are looking for to this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Someonesane,

Thank you, I've applied the merge top layer to bottom layer. I've merged all layers. I've changed the opacity to 0% on the top layer. I've changed the opacity % on the bottom layer. I've changed the opacity % on both layers. Anything that I could think of. I've used the merge in the black triangle area. And the merge area under tools at the top of the page. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could Vista be screwing it up?

Gallery
    View images
    Hmm... I'm not sure. It could be a Vista issue (I'm using XP and haven't run into any issues like this). Is the problem occuring with every file you are working with or just the single file (and have you tried to do it again, since this morning)?

If it's not working with any files you are working with (even those started from scratch), you may want to post the issue in the "Technical" area of the forums, where one of the Rage team can look into it further.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Yep tried it several more times...... nothing. But thank you very much.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by juliediane

Thank you, I've applied the merge top layer to bottom layer. I've merged all layers. I've changed the opacity to 0% on the top layer. I've changed the opacity % on the bottom layer. I've changed the opacity % on both layers. Anything that I could think of. I've used the merge in the black triangle area. And the merge area under tools at the top of the page. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could Vista be screwing it up?
    Originally, you asked how to layer two pictures together. Not merge them as I understand it. There is a difference between paper opacity and layer opacity. The default setting on the first layer that appears when you open artrage is a white 100% paper opacity. Subsequent layers you add by clicking on add layer button will have a 0% paper opacity setting. If you use the File>import image to layer> to import a picture it will have a transparent canvas on that layer ( 0% paper opacity)
    To make a photo montage as what I think you are asking. The paperopacity of the lowest photo must be solid white (100% paper opacity.)or it must have a layer below it set to solid white (100% paper opacity) The image above it in layer order must be set to 0% paper opacity. Once you have met those conditions it is only a matter of reducing the layer opacity slider in the layer above the image. Each layer has its own ability to have both the layer or the paper opacity changed.

Try this... import a photo using file> impport image to layer. Now do it again for another photo. The new photo appears higher in the layer palette.
    Now lower the layer opacity slider of the topmost layer in the layer palette (the one you just imported) You should see the photo montage effect I think you are after. Of course if you lower the layer opacity, of any layer, to 0% nothing will show up.

This process can also be done with with painted layers or images too, the same things apply.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there!

Just to make sure I'm on the right track with this one, if it's not too much trouble, could you email me the images you are trying to merge, or an ArtRage painting file with the two images in it, together with a description of what you want it to look like to support@ambientdesign.com? I'll take a look through it and should be able to shed some light on that.

Moving this to the technical support forum.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you sooooooooooooo much gz. I was taking the opacity down to 0%. Therefore nothing was showing. I understand now. And it worked great....... GREAT BIG HUGS!!!!!

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you also Dave. I was having a total blonde moment. Thank you so much for responding to help. You guys are such an awesome group. Never seen anything like it before. Your always there to help us out. Thanks again!

Gallery
    View images
    Hey, great that it's working for you! Image paint/canvas transparency is one of the more fiddly things to get to grips with in digital art I think, it's not an uncommon question!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design