Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brush size problems

Brush size problems

Here's the problem I'm running into...
    When doing small paintings at a low dpi (5X8in @ 72) my brush size at 100% cuts a nice big stroke of paint across the canvas. But I need to do big painting at higher dpi for print (10X15 @ 400). A brush size of 100% is very small at these specs. Please help, I love this program but I need a bigger brush. It seems to me that a brush size of 100% should be relative to my canvas size. In the real world I would reach for bigger brushes if I'm taking on a bigger canvas...Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    You can take the brush size up to 500% by right clicking on the size and typing 500.

Gallery
    View images
    Actually the percent is a bit mislabeled, since it's actually not a percentage of paper size as you noted. Maybe DaveRage should change this in a future version - or actually make it percentagble of some sort.

One thing to concider is using the paint-roller instead for large area paint spreads. Play a little with it and then you'll get the hang of it.

DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    The percentage sizes indicate the percentage of the tool's maximum size, not as a relative measure of tool to canvas. You're correct, the brush sizes are not relative to the canvas in ArtRage 2. RobertSWade's idea is a good one, we added that functionality to allow people to break the normal brush size limits so it may help you to acheive what you want.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the tips guys. Being able to increase my brush size up 500% is more than enough. I only wish I could use the shift-arrow keys to get it there. Maybe something to put in a future release. Thanks again.

I just wanted to voice my support for a change in this area.

I want to paint some high-res line-work and the only obvious way to increase my brush size was to significantly reduce the image resolution.

It's nice to know that I can now increase the tool size beyond 100%, but not being able to use the usual shortcuts to tweak the tool size to various values above 100% makes it very awkward.

Fortunately I'm not a professional artist so I'll probably just reduce the image size to something far smaller since it won't be going to print.

Gallery
    View images

Question

i thought i read somewhere that in ArtRage Studio Pro, it was possible to use a modifier key to drag brush sizes to oversized amounts; however, i can't figure it out. mistaken? i LOVE working with enormous brushes

also, i should point out that i work on a convertible HP tablet/laptop with the keyboard folded away. i have programmable buttons on my mouse set to help with ArtRage while i paint with a stylus in my other hand. typing strings is very inconvenient.
    Last edited by davidicus; 04-04-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by davidicus View Post
    i thought i read somewhere that in ArtRage Studio Pro, it was possible to use a modifier key to drag brush sizes to oversized amounts.
    Left Click and Drag the cursor over the canvas while holding down the Shift key Changes the size of the brush (up to 500% if needed).
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Beware with big brush size ... Artrage become very slow with some tools and big brushes ... and what is bad is that he is using only one core of the processor. This is it's main flaws in my mind.

Gallery
    View images

Exclamation Stylus prevents bigger brush scaling

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Left Click and Drag the cursor over the canvas while holding down the Shift key Changes the size of the brush (up to 500% if needed).
    thanks--now i've figured out what's wrong: ArtRage doesn't seem to recognize a stylus tap-drag as a left-click-drag.

i can program a mouse or stylus button to be Shift, but only the mouse or trackpad will scale the brush successfully.

btw, too bad about the speed and cpu use. maybe in the future brooms, spatters, and Pollock splashes will be possible...