Thread: Grainy images after Exporting

Gallery
    View images

Grainy images after Exporting

When I export a painting, the exported image has a lot of aliasing compared to what it looked like in ArtRage. (see attached)

I'm guessing that ArtRage preview/canvas are rendered with a real-time smoothing filter or something.
    Will I need to apply a blur filter to all of my exported paintings to match up exported images to make them look the same as they did in ArtRage?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    When you 'zoom in' to the canvas in ArtRage, we apply a bicubic smoothing function, to take the hard edge off the pixels. In my opinion it's more aesthetically pleasing to have softer edges on the pixels rather than hard.
    However the underlying pixels are the same as in the exported image.
    If you want a similar effect in another graphics application, you could rescale the exported image upwards and use bicubic sampling.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    When you 'zoom in' to the canvas in ArtRage, we apply a bicubic smoothing function, to take the hard edge off the pixels. In my opinion it's more aesthetically pleasing to have softer edges on the pixels rather than hard.
    However the underlying pixels are the same as in the exported image.
    If you want a similar effect in another graphics application, you could rescale the exported image upwards and use bicubic sampling.
    Thanks.
    I applied a Box Blur filter to the exported image in Photoshop. And it seems like a pretty close match to ArtRage's preview.